T60 XN Spool rub Issue

Started by Hardy Boy, May 27, 2018, 12:19:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy Boy

I put my T60XN together and it looks great. Stock side plates, near gear and pinion. The issue I'm having is there is a slight spool rub on part of the spool on the handle side but only when pulling line out with drag. The free spool is good with no rubbing. Reeling in the line in gear there is a slight rubbing occasionally/ sometimes. When I tighten up the drag and pull line I get some rubbing and slight resistance on part of the rotation. I looked at the spool and there is some rub marks on the right side lip of the spool, I would say about 1/3 of the lip diameter. The marks do not go all around. The spool is centered well in the reel.

Is this just tight tolerances that need a break in or what should I try? This is not major but a minor annoyance I would like to fix.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Maxed Out

Does the spool spin true in freespool ?? Or does it have a slight wobble ??
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Hardy Boy

It does not appear to wobble but of course its full of line but it looks true. I just cant figure why it only rubs under load and only in one area.
Todd

Gfish

The rubbin under a load thing is mysterious. On mine, the bridge screws were stickin out 'bout 0.5 mm too far. Simply filed 'em down.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Swami805

Mine too, bridge screws. Don't know about this one
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Hardy Boy

I checked for bridge screws rubbing and no indication .............. plus they would rub all the time right?
Todd

Gfish

Try tiltin from side to side as the spool's spinnin.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Maxed Out

I don't recall any issues with my t60xn build....but I did not put line on it test with a load.

Ill check it out and see if I have similar issues
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Hardy Boy

Well this was driving me nuts. I decided to take the right side plate off of an accurate frame 114H I have and switch them. I switched the right plates, used the same screws in each reel and now all is great. Both reels work and the accurate works fine with the plate that rubbed with the T60 . I'm not happy with the rub marks on the new spool but they are hidden and with a little grease and with routine maintenance it should not be an issue.... this reel will be fished. I wonder if the plate was out with the frame just enough to bind ??

cheers:

Todd
Todd

Gfish

Interesting... Was it the non-Accurate plate, the new frame, or the new spool?...

Hardy Boy

I had stock sides on my accurate frame and the T60. Switched the right stock sides plates and all is good for both reels. The issue did not transfer with the side plates. On inspection it was rubbing on a small section of the handle side of the T60 frame but not anymore. Changing the stock right side plate stopped the issue.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd