Warped bridge plate?

Started by Toehi, May 27, 2018, 04:25:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toehi

I've been having issues getting my S550 working correctly, pinion depth at free spool is the issue. I was going to bend the tabs on the Jack out, but I'm worried that the metal will fatigue and the problem will return after a few fishing trips.  My other thought was to solder thin stainless shims on the jack ears.   I looked at the Jack and yoke, which seem to be in spec. For the heck of it I put a straight edge across the back of the bridge plate, and it is cupped in, about the same amount of space (stacked shims to fill the void, about 0.025) the pinion needs to move in at free spool to function properly. Are the bridge plates supposed to be flat?  The only replacement I can find on line right now is from a C series 500 reel, will that fit in an S series?  Thanks!!

alantani

the bridge plates are supposed to be flat and true.  try bending the ears of the jack first.  i think you'll be fine.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Newell Nut

Do what Alan says. Should work fine. If not the C bridge will work on the S series. No issue at all. Any 500 bridge plate will fit.

Correction, as long as you stay with the same speed it will work. The 3.2 bridge will not work for a 4.6 or a 5.5.

Ron Jones

If you need a new bridge, the DD SS Pro Gear bridge is really sweet. Just sayin.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Toehi

Problem solved!  At least for now, going to use the reel in a tourney next weekend and see how it does, I'm going to look into that SS PG bridge plate though. I started off cutting 2 pieces of alum bar stock so I wouldn't mar the parts when I introduced them to the vice. I used a hole saw flipped backwards to push the bridge plate flat, got it pretty close to perfect according to the straight edge. Then I flattened the yoke and jack back by inserting the pieces up to their ears. Going off a good s550 the problem reel now has correct pinion placement at free spool and engagement. I bought the replacement pinion gear years ago right after Newell shut down for good, and wouldn't you know the back of the pinion gear wasn't cut correctly to fit over the spool lug all the way. I popped the ring off and busted out the file, got it to fit correctly but the ring was a pain to put back on the pinion gear. I was lucky enough to nick a tooth on the gear so I had to work it over with some 2000 grit sand paper. Reel seems to function fine though new pinion gear is noisy, hopefully it quiets down as the gears mesh.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!