Hard Core Fishing

Started by Maxed Out, May 28, 2018, 10:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

Yep, it's that time of year again and very short halibut season (4 days total) was ending and both my buddies had family outings plans for the memorial weekend. This meant I was on my own. I loaded up the boat to be my home for 4 days/3 nights. Weather gave me a window to run on the water instead of trailering 6 hours to the coast. Launched 5 minutes from my driveway early Thursday and 135 miles later I pulled into my slip at Big Salmon marina on the Makah reservation in Neah Bay (Washington). Friday it was pretty snotty and very few ventured out offshore. I opted to stay in my slip and hope for better conditions on the last day...Sunday.

Sunday morning came and what a difference. Up at crack of dawn and offshore 42 miles for my halibut. I fished about 40 minutes and released a small halibut, a yellow eye, and kept a mid 20# halibut....I was fishing a short drift in 600 to 625 of water.

Then ran 6 miles nw to the ling cod zone. It was only 400' deep and a lot less reeling. I spent about 35 minutes there and got my 2 ling cod. One about 9# and 0ne 14#. That's it, 10 AM and my fishing time had expired. I planned on running all the way back home and was still 40+ miles offshore. Made it into the marina to refuel at noon. The young man running fuel dock was filling bags with shaved ice, so I helped him bag a bunch up to get him down to the dock turn my pump on. Got fuel and push off the dock at 12:39....My plan was leaving at noon, so already running late with 135 miles left to get home.

Here is couple shots of the ocean 35 miles out, while I was running back in.

We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Maxed Out

......no time to waste, I put the throttles on 4800 and away I went. Exactly 4 hours later @ 4:19 I pulled into my boat launch....not bad for 135 miles

The last portion is fairly protected and mount Rainier right out my windshield. Look close and off to the right of Rainier you can see tops of a few buildings in Seattle

Maxed Out

Put my fish on lots of ice and started processing this morning

Here is the halibut with my hot rodded Cortez113H loaded with 600yds of 80# spectra and experimental knob I was testing,....the cod Jig came from Mike and that's what nailed this fish....thanks Mike (bluefish69)

The reel worked flawlessly

Maxed Out

....and ling cod with the setup I used

David Hall

You must be one tired puppy today.  Nice job that was a lot of water to cover.

Maxed Out

Halibut is one of the easiest fish to fillet. There is a line on the skin showing right where to cut down the bone line between the 2 halves of each side. Also cut around the belly area.

Maxed Out

....then just run knife along the bones under the meat. Then cut skin to free up fillet, lay meat side up, and shave off the skin and ready for bagging and freezing.

Maxed Out

Total miles of running...363 and just a hair over 2 mpg......Let me finish by saying I had a blast, but glad to be back home sleeping in my comfy bed.....with a nice stash of gourmet white meat that'll last us a while

Ted

mo65

Bravo Ted! Sure does look like great fun...enjoy your bounty! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Benni3

That looks like fun :D nice fish,,nice gear and Yamaha  ;D

Gfish

Nice! That cheek meat is the best.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

broadway

You are a trooper, bro! That's some serious "ground" you covered there for some fine, flat meat.
I enjoy halibut when cooked properly, but the last time I ate it was at the Borgata (Atlantic City, NJ) when about 6 of us ordered the "Special" and boy, did we pay for it.
It was bad, and while we sent them all back it was too late... we were green around the gills.
However,  Seeing how you take care of your fish and the care given to that fine salmon and Albie meat you so generously share with us, I would break my hiatus.
Get some rest and give your baby (boat) a good rub down after she brought you home safely after that long trek.
I know 3 dogs and one wife will be smiling when they taste those fillets. ;)
Good stuff!
Dom

Shark Hunter

That beat the trailering Ted.
Congrats on making it home safe,
You are a Machine. ;)
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

That is pretty hard core!

Nice going Ted.  That was a long run there.  All that effort should will make that fish more delicious.

I like the looks of that concept handle too.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Alto Mare

What a run Ted, my back hurts just reading about it. I'm glad you had a good time and glad that the boat and gear did great.
Nice job!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.