Memorable Memorial Day Bite

Started by Tightlines667, May 29, 2018, 06:39:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

Given the weather reports and the fact the warm water plume was retreating to Waenae as the currents and moon picked up, decided to move the boat to Ko'Olina for the weekend.  I had my Saturday, Sunday, and Tuesday charters cancel, so started I found replacements, and changed to a 2 day plan.

Sunday - 05/27

We ran to the 500fa from Pearl Harbor, and fished a 5-9" Ahi bait spread out to the HH.  Picked up a double of Ono (17lb&39lb) fish at 0830hrs 2nm shy of HH.  Circled out deep, worked up towards Waianae Pinnacle but ran into the big Aku pile as soon as the current picked up.  Worked the birds, no takers, trolled the 500fa back down.  Good day, good group of enlisted Army fishermen and women on board, and some fish for market.

Memorial Day - Monday 05/28

Invited my friend Joe fishing for the day.  We got started late, and left Ko'olina at 0445hrs.  Ran to 6nm W of CO with jets, then set the 5-9" Ahi spread.  Within 30 minutes both riggers (running blue Tsumatsu bullets) went down.  Short rigger fish had grabbed the head, but missed the hooks, long rigger fish was landed in 23minutes.  Nice ~120lb Ahi.    Re set the spread circles back around and hook a nice Blue on the Long rigger (same bait).  Fish jumped and threw the hook after running a few hundred yards off.  Reset and continued working the area for 30minutes.  Had to leave and start back home since I was 50nm from Pearl Harbor.  Picked up a nice ~30lb Hebi on the short corner 8nm downhill.  There was some life at the pinnacle, but no bites.  Headed back to ko'olina, and took a screaming hit on the long rigger 4nm out, as we crossed the 500fa.  I was convinced it was a small Blue cause he ran 600yds off at 45lbs real quick like and stayed shallow.  Then the fish settled down and came in real well behaved.  At color, we had another Ahi, who didn't like to circle or sound like his brethren.  Brought him to gaff in around 15-20minutes.  A nice ~90lb fish.  Had to pull the baits and run in to fuel up, get back to Pearl harbor, clean up, and go drop off the fish I sold over the phone.  

It's nice when things go as planned, at least the fishing today anyways.  

Great day to be out there!

Made some Memorial Day memories.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Tightlines667

Pics
Hope springs eternal

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Congratulations on the beautiful pair of fish John, and thank you for your vivid reports.  Reading them is the next best thing to being there.

Tightlines667

More pics..
Hope springs eternal

Shark Hunter

John,
You are the Man!
I spent the day doing a brake job on my truck and mowing my yard.
My Finale was Ribeyes and bake potatoes on the grill.
Spectacular Fish brother ;)
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Great report John! You always get the job done!
Keep it coming, I alway enjoy reading your reports.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mo65

That would be the trip of a lifetime for me...just another day on the pond for you guys. I salute! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

STRIPER LOU

John, you've got this dialed in!! I have an appreciation for people that take their fishing skills to the next level.

Great work and excellent report.

..................Lou

handi2

My favorite fish to catch. Excellent eating.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

ChileRelleno

Dammit man, that is some serious fishing you've going on.
Great fish, time to eat!

Can I take my next vacation with you?  ;D
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

steelfish

JOhn, you got all of us drooling for your fishing trip.

one question, whats better for dinner YFT or BFT?

your blue tune looks like quality fish but I know nothing about quality of the meat between yellow or blue tunas
The Baja Guy

Swami805

Bluefin is darker more fishy tasting than yellow fin. Good raw but never cared for it anyway I've had it cooked. Yellowfin is lighter in color and flavor.
I think he was talking about blue Marlin. Don't think they get much bluefin there
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Gobi King

Wow, good fishing!

It is a zoo here in MI on Memorial day on the water, I stayed in my "safe zone" at the yacht club munching on fried chicken dinner.

Could you please post a pic of the Ahi spread.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Tightlines667

Quote from: Gobi King on May 29, 2018, 07:47:49 PM
Wow, good fishing!

It is a zoo here in MI on Memorial day on the water, I stayed in my "safe zone" at the yacht club munching on fried chicken dinner.

Could you please post a pic of the Ahi spread.

Here you go...

Both Ahi were caught on the first bait (from left)
Blue Marlin strike/hookup on the 7th bait (from)
Shortbill Spearfish caught on the 5th (from left)
Lost an Ahi on the 7th bait as well

These baits cost about $100 each rigged.

John
Hope springs eternal

Tightlines667

Quote from: steelfish on May 29, 2018, 06:52:59 PM
JOhn, you got all of us drooling for your fishing trip.

one question, whats better for dinner YFT or BFT?

your blue tune looks like quality fish but I know nothing about quality of the meat between yellow or blue tunas

I meant Blue Marlin, which if under 250lbs or so a great smoked with a sugary glaze.

BFT are rarely caught here, maybe 2-4 small fish annually in our entire commercial fleet.

Bigeye Tuna, which can be caught deep in the winter months, are fattier, and make the best Sashimi of the two.  A grade 1 Bigeye double marker can fetch as much as a BFT (up to $40/lb retail)

John
Hope springs eternal