Memorable Memorial Day Bite

Started by Tightlines667, May 29, 2018, 06:39:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

Sold all the fish (except 5lbs to eat) for $1130-$300 trip expenses =$830 profit. 110lbs chunk Ahi at 65%yield (70lbs @$6.50/lb, 40lbs@$10/lb), 49lbs Wahoo/whole weight, & 26lbs Shortbill Spearfish/headed-gilled-gutted @$4/lb).  Auction was only paying $2.75/lb Ahi, $2.00/lb Wahoo, & $1.30/lb on Shortbills right now.  

So I did good.

Nice to think I provided fish for 300+ meals here.

:)

This leaves me only $900 short of breaking even on 2018, after 34 trips.  If my math is right it has only cost me $24/10 hour fishing trip.  Of course there are many other hidden costs to owning/running an offshore boat.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Gobi King

John, Thanks for the Ahi spread pics,

Positive ROI, nice.
In MI and AL dnr will not allow us to sell any game fish. Heck in MI if you toss your bait over after you are done fishing you might get ticket for chumming  :o
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Tightlines667

Quote from: Gobi King on May 30, 2018, 12:32:51 PM
John, Thanks for the Ahi spread pics,

Positive ROI, nice.
In MI and AL dnr will not allow us to sell any game fish. Heck in MI if you toss your bait over after you are done fishing you might get ticket for chumming  :o

I grew up in Minnesota, so I am familiar with the fishing regs regarding wanton waste, and commercial sale of fish.  There is a huge demand for fresh, sashimi-grade, line-caught fish here, and commercial fishing is encouraged here.  Most charter boats also have commercial fishing licenses, and sell much of their catch to help offset the high cost of doing business, or offshore fishing.  The ability to get a small boat commercial fishing license is one of the reasons I wanted to live here in the first place.  I don't expect to turn a profit fishing, but fish sales should help me to be able to afford to run an offshore boat.  I prefer selling some fish, to running charters myself.  

Not sure how positive my ROI is though.  The numbers above reflect fixed ownership/trip costs.  In actuality I will need alot more tuna to pay off the roughly $25-30k investment in the vessel and equiptment.  

The state classifies fishermen in  5 basic catagories...
1)Full-time commercial
2)Part-time commercial
3)Cost-offset fisherman
4)Recreational fisherman

I currently fall into category 3, but if I can turn a profit, I will move to category 2.  Most of the 1000 or so state- registered small boat trollers fall within cat 3.  We do have a longline fleet of ~150 vessels, and there are another ~200 vessels that fish full-time commercially (shoreline, dangler, pole-n-line, Ika shibi,  bottomfish, trap, and the like).

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Gobi King

That is wonderful, it is a win-win for us fishermen and consumer.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan