bad day today, fishing tomorrow......

Started by alantani, June 01, 2018, 04:42:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

well, this sorta sums up day.  don franklin runs a boat out of san francisco called the soleman, and he had called to ask about reels.  "so, don, got any room tomorrow?"  and just like that, i'm fishing.  been putting in 14 hour days working on reels.  not really a bad job and the commute is easy.  still, i need to get away.  i'll take lots of pictures!

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Shark Hunter

I couldn't do it Alan.
I did think of it a while back as something on the side, but my time is too valuable.
I have had a members reel on the table for over a month.
Thank god he is patient.
Good luck fishing. ;)
Life is Good!

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Good decision Alan.  When the going gets tough, the tough go fishing!

Swami805

If 14 hour days are retirement I'll keep working. Hope you get a few!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Shark Hunter

Yea, But he get's to drink Scotch on a work day. ;)
Life is Good!

Fishy247

Quotebeen putting in 14 hour days working on reels

Now THAT'S hardcore!!

Go fishin boss, sounds like you've earned it!

Benni3

Can't wait to see the gear you will be using and get the big one  ;D

Donnyboat

Good luck boss, hope your camera, is in better condition than that reel on your bench, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Ron Jones

Retirement, Alan, remember? 14 hours does not compute.
I'd rather be fishing, glad you are.
GO GET "EM, BOSS!!
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

alantani

been a while since i've take a boat out of san francisco, but don franklin had called with a reel question.  the man is looking for narrow squidders, so if you have any that you want to sell, please let him know.  anyway, i have been servicing his reels for the last 5 years or so but had never been out on his boat.  he had room so i decided to take a mental health day. 

driving through san francisco is easy at 5am.  no one around but the homeless.  sad, really.  there are so many.  parking is the first issue.  the anchorage parking garage has a fisherman's special.  grab a ticket at the entrance and a voucher from the skipper of the boat and you can park all day for $14.  otherwise it's $3 every 15 minutes for a maximum of $40-50 depending on the time of year.  yeah, welcome to san francisco!

you walk out of the garage and down jones street.  try not to trip over more homeless.   cross jefferson street to castagnola's and turn right. 

walking down jefferson, you see the wacky jacky, chucky's pride, the wild wave and a few others. 

i walked to the end of the row and looked back towards the boats.  the streets sure are empty at 5am. 

i actually walked right past don's boat, the sole-man, so i had to backtrack a little. 

i settled in when the skipper arrived.  then we were joined by matt and his son blake, both from st. louis. 

first order of the morning was more bait.  these were live anchovies.  most pretty small, some decent size. 

the rest of the day was basically a bay tour with a few fish thrown in.  it was really slow.  dad caught a small legal halibut, his son caught a small legal striper, the both caught a few shakers, and i got a rockfish that a just threw back.

we got back around 1pm and expected the streets to be crowded.  hardly anyone around.  i guess the tourist season is a little early, too!

slow day on the water but a beautiful day on the bay.  thanks to don franklin at https://www.solemanfishing.com/

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ron Jones

Anything to be on the water!
Glad you had fun
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

whalebreath

Quote hardly anyone around.  i guess the tourist season is a little early, too!
No they're all here now for various reasons none having to do with fishing.

Bill B

Good to see you getting out Boss man...Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!