Pulling a bearing on Accurate ATD 30

Started by yamagarasu, August 03, 2011, 04:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yamagarasu

I am new to this forum so hello to all...

I have begun my annual reel maintenance on my Accurate ATDs in preparation for my LR trip in November.  My routine is to do a complete rinse with fresh water with the drags buttoned down tight right when I get home.  I let the reels dry and wipe them down with a CorrosionX  soaked rag and store the reels with the drags open.  I have three ATD 30s...

For the yearly maintenance I follow the steps in the Accurate website slide show for the tear down ...I just finished all three reels...one has terrible free spool and I would like to pull the bearings to do a complete cleaning of them...I have made the "bent screw driver" tool that Alan and several others have recommended but just can't pull the bearing out of the frame...yes, I have removed the clip.... Any suggestions? There is no corrosion present.... Is the bearing pressed in and am I fighting a losing battle?  Do I need to send it back to Accurate and have them replace all the bearings?   Should I just tug harder?

Since I can't get the first bearing out I have not tried the others.

I have even found/read Alan's post on BIGGAME FISHING-BOARD from a couple of years ago dealing with bearings...still can't get the bearing out...

Thanks in advance...JR

yamagarasu

Well, since I posted my question, I realized I should have put it in the ACCURATE board...too late.  But I did get to the other three bearings with no problem.  Two on the spool and one on the right side (crank side).  Still have not been able to budge the one in the frame (clicker side).  JR

Jimmer

I think there's a bearing puller availble somwere, just search long enough and you'll find it.
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

Jimmer

What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

REK

I don't think the outer frame bearings have anything to do with freespool. Usually, if I have a hard time with pulling a frame bearing, I just check to see if it's clean and spins fine, then leave it there and grease it. If your concern is freespool, the two spool bearings are what you need to clean and treat.

I was thinking of making up a small impact puller, slide hammer somewhat, for a stubborn frame bearing. Interested in what others are doing.

Does anybody apply heat to the outside of the frame, maybe expand the area holding the bearing?

redsetta

I do that on the aluminium casings of motorbike engines I work on.
The need's yet to arise on a reel, but I can attest to the fact that it works.
Even a hairdryer can (sometimes) produce enough expansion to release a bearing.
In the absence of corrosion etc binding a reel bearing in place, I find they usually jam because they're being pulled at an angle (however slight). Gently working around the ID can often relieve this...
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

yamagarasu

alantani

jr, most of the time i can shimmy the bearing tool underneath the bearing and rock it side to side to lift up the bearing.  the problem is usually corrosion and a bearing cup that has a pressed fit, not a slip fit.  the new penn wrenches are made of cheap pot metal.  you can use one of the shimano wrenches for the trinidads to fashion a bearing puller.  the shimano wrenches are made of a harder steel.  once they are bent and ground down, they work great!  once out, i go in with a dremmel and a fine grit sanding wheel and remove a couple of thousanths of corrosion and anodizing until you have a slip fit.   grind away too much and the bearing will rattle.  you've got to be careful.  you have a thousand dollar reel there!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!