drag numbers

Started by farmer56, June 03, 2018, 03:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmer56

farmer 56 here ....      what are  drag  numbers  you  can  expect  from  D A M      265    110  220  and 221  reels   ....     thanks  ....  Dennis       ......    foakes  is  making  me  all  four       .....  265  will  get  4  lb.  mono   110  will  get   10 lb.  braid   ...  220  &  221  who  knows   ....   Keta  sent  me  one  of  his  8  lb.  scales   so  i  can  dial  in  drag  lb.    hope  this  finds  you  all  well   ....   farmer  out

mo65

That scale will do fine for setting those reels Farmer. These reels have the ability to handle higher numbers...but it's unlikely you'll set your drag tighter than the line's breaking strength. Thus...10lb. line would have a setting of 2.5 to 5 pounds. Most folks like to stick to 1/3 or so of the line's strength. I can tell you this much...you're gonna love those reels! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

farmer56

thanks  mo65.....    but  for  the  220  and  221    what  would  you  spool  them  with   .....   only  fresh  water   fish   targeted ....     larger   bass  walleye   northern  pike    ......   mono   ,  braid   ,   size   ,    and  then  final  question  max   safe    drag  numbers   the  reels  can  tolerate   ....   farmer  out

mo65

For those fish stated I'd spool the 220 and 221 with either 20lb. braid or  12-17lb. mono, which ever line type you prefer. As far as "safe" drag numbers, anything you can generate these reels can handle, But, I would set the drag to 1/3 to maybe 1/2 of my line's breaking strength. These reels are light enough to be a good panfishing reel, but powerful enough to handle any lunker bass or pike around. 8)

farmer56

WOW ...   mo65    ...     thanks   farmer 56 out

handyandy

If your gonna put 10lb braid on the 110 put the microlites metal spool on it and the plastic spool on the microlite for the 4lb mono. My 221 I have 10lb trilene big game mono on it has worked very well for me this past week I've caught a number of big hybrids that made multiple runs peeling line out from my 221.

farmer56

hey  handyandy     ....   farmer 56  here......   thanks  for  the  heads  up   on  the  braid   ....  didn't  realize  these  reels  would  be  sensitive  to  braid   ....   only   mono  will  be  used.....  this  is  why  i  love  this  group  of  people   ....   farmer  out

mo65

Just food for thought...I've had braid on my plastic spooled 221 for a few years now with no problems. Keep your fingers crossed! 8)

farmer56

hey  mo65   farmer  here  ....   do  you  think  foaks   would  have  a  spare  265  aluminum  spool   .....

oc1

Monofilament is harder on a spool than braid.  The mono stretches and builds up pressure on the flanges.  You do not want to spool mono too tight.  The braid doesn't stretch and doesn't build up any pressure so you want to put it on tight.
-steve

handyandy

I think you will be fine with braid as well, I was just pointing out if foakes is building you a 265 microlite they originally came with metal spools which I would imagine he would build it with knowing him unless he doesn't have any which is unlikely. You can put the microlite metal spool on the 110. I have a second 221 I need to go through I may try braid on it not sure.

mo65

Quote from: handyandy on June 07, 2018, 06:05:31 PM
I have a second 221 I need to go through I may try braid on it not sure.

I'd recommend trying it Andy...there are some cool possibilities with the braid diameters being so thin. You can even up the line strength to 30lb. braid, which is 8lb. mono diameter, still very castable and it will hold a bunch. That gives you the option to get some drag numbers you'd never hit with mono in an ultralight. Providing of coarse, the drags are tip top. I'd never attempt 10lbs. of drag with the stock leather set up...this is greased carbon fiber territory. Even though I'm using braid on my 221, my drag is still set at only 3lbs, because I use a 10lb. mono leader for visibility reasons. Some of the waters I fish are so clear the braid tied direct to the bait will spook the fish. 8)

handyandy

I hear ya mo. My current 221 that I was catching the wipers with a few days ago I made cf drags for. They helped, but I'd like to get it smoother, I suspect my original brass washers are the culprits of the drag being a little jerky they probably aren't perfectly flat. I need to lap them down flat on some of my knife sharpening diamond stones. I love the 221/220 reels. Really I love all the quicks, but the 221 is such a great size small enough to make bass fishing fun big enough to handle some bruisers.

mo65

Quote from: handyandy on June 08, 2018, 03:49:17 PM
My current 221 that I was catching the wipers with a few days ago I made cf drags for. They helped, but I'd like to get it smoother, I suspect my original brass washers are the culprits of the drag being a little jerky they probably aren't perfectly flat.

The under gear washer could be the culprit. I'd say to get the absolute smoothest drag it should be either Delrin or Teflon. Mine is still the stock Resistex and seems to be doing fine. 8)

handyandy

my underspool is still the original resistax which could be the culprit, it performs well enough so I haven't messed it with much outside the greased cf drags in the spool. It's one of my favorite reels. The other week a number of wipers were caught on it while chucking really large top waters honestly ones bigger than it's really intended to, but it had no issues.