Penn VISX 12 & 16 skipping under load

Started by Solid72, May 03, 2021, 11:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solid72

I tried looking on here and didn't see any information yet.  I have 2 new Penn's a 12 & 16.  Over the weekend while reeling in the jigs I noticed a skip while cranking.  Then I hooked a fish and it really started to skip.  I didn't it happen while in low if I remember correctly.  My 12 is real bad, so I managed a few fish with the 16, but it was skipping while reeling in.  I tried to attach the video, but it didn't work.  Any ideas what it may be?  I'm sending them to Penn. 

Thanks
Dave
Fishhard!

Keta

The first thing to check is if the Spectra is spinning on the spool, if it has Spectra.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Donnyboat

Yes Lee is correct, If you dont have a peg to tie your line to, place about two half hitches around the spool shaft, then tie the line to the spool, once you work the line back till it is all tight, nothing should slip then, good luck, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Bryan Young

It's possible the gear pin is slipping out of the high gear. I'd check the gear shift pin that locks the bear to the main crank shaft.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

i spoke to george wong about this issue, and it was probably regarding these same two reels.  there is a nut at the bottom of the gear stack and a shift key inside the drive shaft.  both of these need to be tight.  after that, the shift key needs to be inspected to see if there is damage.  the gears also need to be checked.  it's a combination of springs that shift allow the shift key to engage the high and low gears properly.  if the springs are off, then the shift key will slip.  that is likely what has happen here.  okuma has had similar problems.  ping the guys at penn.  they should be able to help. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Solid72

Thank you and yes it was the same two reels that George Wong mentioned.  I sent the reels to Penn as they had read a post of mine and want to take a look at them.  It is definitely sounding like what you mentioned.  Low gear is fine.
Fishhard!