DAM 221 Spool?

Started by steelhead_killer, June 03, 2018, 05:21:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelhead_killer

Fred made me up a 221 several years ago and the spool finally cracked and broke during my last move.  Does anyone have another they would want to sell or is their another model spool that would work?  Preferably a metal spool?

Thanks!

Andy
><)))">

festus

Good question.  I have both a 330 and a 331 and they share the same spools.  Not sure if the 220 will fit the 221.  I don't think there were any metal spools that fit the 220 series, but the metal spool from the old original Finessa 280 and 285 will fit the 330.   

oldmanjoe

This is from another thread

Quote from: mo65 on January 25, 2018, 10:50:00 AM
Quote from: Rivverrat on January 25, 2018, 02:58:51 AM
Fred or anybody, did the 265 ever have an aluminum spool ? ... Jef

My 265 does have an aluminum spool. It's covered in a thick black finish that looks like plastic...but it is aluminum.

Yes, Mike is exactly right, Jeff — all 265 Microlites have aluminum spools.

110's have plastic — and they are interchangeable with 265's.

Best,

Fred
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Midway Tommy

A 220 spool will fit a 221.

The Microlite 265 came with a metal spool. The 110 came with a plastic spool but both will interchange with each other. 110N spool is plastic and will not interchange with the 265 or 110.

All "0 & 1"s and "0 & 1N"s came with plastic spools. "N" spools only fit "N" reels.

The 280 & 285 Finessas came with metal spools and will only interchange with the 330 & 331 reels. Neither will interchange with the "N"s. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

steelhead_killer

><)))">

festus

This 220 is listed on the big auction, odd looking color for a spool to be made of plastic unless it's been painted.

Midway Tommy

He posted lousy pics in that listing but the spool sure doesn't look milled to me. I'd say someone painted the spool to cover up the oxidation.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

handyandy

that spool is interesting not sure if it's aluminum or not wish I could see it in person.

As far as spools for 221 goes, a spool from a 238 or a 220 will fit. I might have a 238 spool I could spare, one of my 221's I bought cheap had cause it came with no spool, I put a 238 spool I had.

To my knowledge there is no direct replacement aluminum spool for a 220/221. If one has an aluminum spool some custom work was done to some spool to make it work. I wish there was an aluminum spool for them, as I would like to spool one of my 221's with braid.

If you have a 330 or 331 you can put a finessa spool on it it to have an aluminum spool. To my knowledge none of the n series reels had aluminum spools, and the none of the n series reels spools interchange with the previous generation reel of the same size. A microlite 265 spool should be aluminum, and does fit on a 110.

steelhead_killer

The 238 spool does not fit the 221.  I just tried one and the spool shaft is much smaller in diameter than the 221

FYI
><)))">

mo65

Quote from: steelhead_killer on October 18, 2018, 11:28:39 PM
The 238 spool does not fit the 221.  I just tried one and the spool shaft is much smaller in diameter than the 221

FYI

You'll have to change the spindle/arbor also.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=12620.msg240234#msg240234
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

steelhead_killer

Oh that...good to know!  Don't know how far this rabbit hole I want to go.  I have limited experience with these Dam reels...Maybe I just ship the whole thing back to Fred and let him fix her up for me.

Andy
><)))">