D.A.M. Quick 220--removing pin from axle

Started by festus, June 04, 2018, 05:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

Anyone know the safest method to remove the pin from the axle?  I don't want to go beating and banging with a hammer and punch without knowing if there is a better way to avoid damaging something.

Midway Tommy

Drive or pull it out but there's no reason to remove it unless it is broken or bent. If the spindle is stuck soak it in vinegar overnight and tap it off. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

festus

Yes, the spindle is stuck.  I saw you give the vinegar advice to oldmanjoe, I should have posted over there instead of a new thread.  This is an old junker reel I bought for parts several months ago.  Also having big problems removing the pin from the handle to get to the main gear and anti-reverse assembly.  This reel came from Norfolk, VA so it's probably had a good dose of sand and salt.

festus

And it also looks like the shaft that attaches to the main gear and handle is bent.  >:( Oh well, I'll get enough  parts for what I paid for.

oldmanjoe

Try Tommy`s method first .
  IF you have to drive the pin  ,i use a block of wood with 2 saw cuts to hold the assembly .

IN my case i needed to remove the pin to get to the submerged button .
    I also used a drill to spin some heat to help free it up , with no luck yet.   "  hold the spindle wile spinning , hold the button wile spinning."
  Still soaking in vinegar .     joe
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

festus

I used a couple of wood blocks to try to drive the pin with no luck other than bending both a 1/16" and 3//64" punch.  Gave it a WD-40 soak a couple days ago, so vinegar it will be.  

oldmanjoe

I save my broken pin punches for these tough guys .
  The long pin punch does flex to much.
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare