Leeward Oahu Weekend Bite

Started by Tightlines667, June 04, 2018, 07:27:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

There was a pretty good Yellowfin Tuna, and Blue Marlin bite this past weekend in Leeward Oahu.  I decided to fish 2 half days, berthing overnight in Ko'Olina. 

Saturday, June 02

Left Iroquois Point Marina with my Hawaiian friends Mike & Craig at 0500hrs. Ran to 500fa inside BO. Set the spread and worked out 8nm, then back in up towards S. 0.5nm from S on 500fa, picked up a 70lb Shibi on the short ice blue ova pearl white 2 hole Taganawa jet. My friend Jay was alongside, and said that one 'hurt his pride'. 10 minutes later he was hooked up himself. 45 minutes later he landed a 220lb + Ahi on a 50WLRS standup style. It hit a large naked ballyhoo down on a planer. Fished up to the R bouy, and all the way back to Ko'olina w/o another knockdown. Good day on the water, but a bit sporty out there today.

The Shibi had a stomach full of Stomatopod, Alika stage. Not sure how he though he was going to fit a 9" fish in there

Sunday, June 03

Left the marina at 0700hrs, fished 3 hours straight outside.  Friend caught a 582 Blue Marlin.  Other friend, had an Ahi bite, and a blue marlin bite, no fish.  Other friend caught 2 more Ahi.  We caught a barracuda on the way home.  Pretty wet/rough ride home.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Tightlines667

More pics...
Hope springs eternal

Tightlines667

Three friends' boats did well too, with a 200lb+ ahi, 3-100lb class Ahi, 1 582lb Blue Marlin, and several Blue Marlin raised or lost over 2 days.
Hope springs eternal

Benni3

Wow,,,,that's some big tuna,,,what size reels where you using  ;D

Tightlines667

I was running 4-Penn International 130St,  and 1 Fin not Santiago SA130WA. 

Jay was rinnin4 Tiagra 50wlrs, 1 Penn 80STW.

Dave, and Jay's friend (along with most local teollers) run all Shimano Tiagra 130.
Hope springs eternal

Benni3

Really nice gear for some really nice fish ;D

Dominick

Terrific John.  It's good to see your boat getting some action.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Jim Fujitani

John,

I think I recognize "Dave", tho' I last fished with him on a LR charter a couple summers ago.  Can't mistake his grin! 

Dave got his boat, the Opah II this past winter.  Is he also a cost-offset fisherman?  He paid for part of his college education commercial rock fishing, working a skiff out of Trinidad Harbor over 40 years ago.

Tightlines667

Quote from: Jim Fujitani on June 06, 2018, 04:30:44 PM
John,

I think I recognize "Dave", tho' I last fished with him on a LR charter a couple summers ago.  Can't mistake his grin! 

Dave got his boat, the Opah II this past winter.  Is he also a cost-offset fisherman?  He paid for part of his college education commercial rock fishing, working a skiff out of Trinidad Harbor over 40 years ago.

That's him.
Hope springs eternal

Tightlines667

Our Yellowfin made special of the week...

Fresh, troll-caught, pan-seared Ahi

Sooo Ono!
Hope springs eternal