Different Kind of Zebco

Started by Shark Hunter, June 05, 2018, 05:12:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapeFish

If you want to throw heavy baits and sinkers  its not a bad idea to get something to hold the line unless you have buffalo leather for skin and the strength of a vice grip. If you can do that its fine, otherwise chances are you will end up with 30m lobs for casts. I find I can do 2oz max with just my finger and still manage long casts, with heavier weights I cant manage without a casting glove (really just a single finger guard with leather tip) and above 4oz squarely in the territory of a bionic finger for me. Multipliers don't have any of those issues though  :)

Swami805

Line cuts aren't fun, You'll get used to a few wraps of that tape in no time and won't know it's there. After a few hours of wet hands even alligator shin gets soft. That sucker will never heal the whole trip and get junk in it. I'll send you a roll,don't leave home without it.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

xjchad

I throw 8 oz. sputniks with a big chunk of bait and love my Breakaway Cannons! No braid cuts for me!
http://www.breakawaytackleusa.com/products/accessories/cannon/

I've been tail slapped by an angry sevegill, it doesn't feel good  :D
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Shark Hunter

Ok,
Break away cannon coming up.
I do have some 6 and 8 oz Sputniks to try out.
I guess cause these reels are so Honkin' Big, I better get the big one.
These two are going to look Great on My New Surf Rods.
Life is Good!

sabaman1

Great choice on the Cabo Daron, I have the 50 and 80 versions, they cast great and are very strong. I've caught many Tuna and Dorado on mine, largest Dorado being over 28lbs and Tuna up over 20lbs. West coast fisherman laugh at spinners, but I am the one laughing when I show them the fish I catch on them paired with a 7' 2" Shimano Terez MH rod.Hoping you catch some Big ones. Tight Lines to you!!!
JIM

Aiala

Quote from: sabaman1 on June 12, 2018, 01:52:29 AM
West coast fisherman laugh at spinners...

Not all of us! Years ago aboard POLARIS SUPREME I dispatched a 50-lb YFT with a Penn 750SS on a classic Fenwick... Epic!

Old school rules!  :D  8)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Porthos

Hey Daron,

I've started using hollow core connections for my 100lb solid braid to 100lb mono to avoid a knot bumping into the guides when casting my LT100. With a 7' rod, I have three rod lengths of mono so that in casting position it's the mono that's sitting on the index finger...thus eliminating the need for a Breakaway Cannon. Once the mono section clears the tip then it's as if I've casted with straight braid... there's only a small loss in casting distance.

handi2

You wont be disappointed with any of the Quantum reels. I really like their parts ordering at Tackleservice.com. The parts and bearings are at amazingly low prices.

Daron I just got my Splash Drone 3 today. It has the 4K camera and also the fishing package. It will hold 1kg/2lbs of weight with a release. You can fly the bait up to 500m away from shore, drop it, and fly back.

Its waterproof, can take pictures underwater, and fly right back.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

sabaman1

Quote from: handi2 on June 12, 2018, 11:54:20 PM
You wont be disappointed with any of the Quantum reels. I really like their parts ordering at Tackleservice.com. The parts and bearings are at amazingly low prices.

Daron I just got my Splash Drone 3 today. It has the 4K camera and also the fishing package. It will hold 1kg/2lbs of weight with a release. You can fly the bait up to 500m away from shore, drop it, and fly back.

Its waterproof, can take pictures underwater, and fly right back.
Keith out here in California that would be great to be able to drop your bait or lure on a big school of finicky bluefin tuna with a drone. We have been having a phenomenon of huge bluefin off our coast for the last 5 years, but they rarely come close enough to your boat to present an offering.
JIM

Shark Hunter

Keith,
I just watched multiple Videos of that Drone.
When I come down in September.
I want a presentation.
I guess technology has evolved enough to fly something that heavy out to Sea.
2.5 lbs is a lot for a drone. I worry about the line drag taking it out.
My Claw weights are usually a pound. I could scale that back to 8 oz and Maybe a half a Bonito or a chunk of ray.
Set it on auto pilot and drink a cold one while my bait is being deployed. ;)
Life is Good!

thorhammer

youre gonna put Robin out of a job???

Shark Hunter

I'm sure he won't complain. ;)
Opened one of these up yesterday.
Right off the bat, I couldn't figure out how to get the side plate off. The 100 and 120 have a different side plate.
You have to loosen the rotor nut to slide it up just enough to get the case off.
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

A Giant Stainless gear in there!
Reel looks well built. I was disappointed when I took one of the bearing shields off.
Left one shield off and packed them with grease.
Was going to check out the drag stack, but My boys came over bearing gifts. ;)
Time to fire up the grill and drink a few cold ones.
Maybe next weekend.
I wanted to post this, because I couldn't find a tutorial on this reel anywhere.
The trickiest part of reassembly is fitting the tag end of a spring that is on the main gear in the back up anti reverse dog.
You can see the slot in the dog in the first pic and the spring on the main gear in the second.
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

I lightly greased the stack before putting line on.
7 stack on top with keyed metals and a Big Dura Drag type on the bottom.
The carbon washers on top felt pretty flimsy. I was surprised that they are .55.
The Big Drag Washer is 1.0mm.
Hopefully this reel will be put to the test on my next trip.
400 yards of 100lb braid on a 12' Ocean Master Rod.
Life is Good!

mo65

Fantastic looking reel Daron...thanks for the peek inside! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~