Hello from a Brit living the USA.

Started by Lanky94, June 06, 2018, 08:02:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanky94

Hello everyone. Thanks Admin for hooking me up.

I have been fishing since I could hold a rod really (44 years ago).

I am always in my reels, servicing and protecting from  corrosion and replacing crappy plastic bushes with bearings. A bit of polishing here and there. Reels- I use all makes and types. I am her to earn and hopefully share what little I know to others.

I used to be a tournament caster in then UK, slinging big sinkers down a filed and measuring distance in comps. Furthers cast was 273 yards with a 150g lead. The reels are magged and super tuned so I know a bit about that.

Cheers

Nathan

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Lanky94

Thanks Alan. Looks like a great forum.

festus

Welcome from Tennessee, I'm sure you have plenty to contribute.

theswimmer

Welcome Nathan!
819 ft is a far bit eh?
I  think you could show me a trick or two.......
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Tiddlerbasher

Hi Nathan - Chris from the uK :)
I used to be able to get 200yds on a good day (a few years ago) not so much now a few years on ;)

xjchad

Welcome!  I look forward to learning what you have to share with us!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Shark Hunter

Welcome Nathan!
I'm sure you have some video to show us. ;)
Life is Good!

conchydong

Welcome, I have always been amazed at the distances that  "professional" long distance casters can obtain. I am sure you are being modest and can contribute a whole lot on magging and tuning  reels along with casting techniques.
Look forward to your contributions.

Scott

Dominick

Welcome Nathan.  One question.  Are those long casting tuned reels also for fishing?  I like to surf fish sometimes down in Baja but the undertow is pretty scary.  Sometimes you get to much water behind you and the land drops off quickly.  If I can get a bait out far enough I do not have to wade too deeply in the water to cast a bait out.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

David Hall

Welcome Nathan,  where you calling home now?

Lanky94

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on June 06, 2018, 10:45:38 PM
Hi Nathan - Chris from the uK :)
I used to be able to get 200yds on a good day (a few years ago) not so much now a few years on ;)

Chris. 200yds is further than most anglers can cast back home. Its a good chuck. A handy tool when fish are out reach for most!

Lanky94

Quote from: Dominick on June 07, 2018, 12:21:19 AM
Welcome Nathan.  One question.  Are those long casting tuned reels also for fishing?  I like to surf fish sometimes down in Baja but the undertow is pretty scary.  Sometimes you get to much water behind you and the land drops off quickly.  If I can get a bait out far enough I do not have to wade too deeply in the water to cast a bait out.  Dominick

Hi Dominick. Simple brake blocks and rocket fuel in the bearings is sufficient for fishing I find. I tend not to run my reels for beach fishing too fast...............less birdsnests and more fishing at the expense of 20 yds! What reels are you using? Bearing in mind that I use Penn Mag 525's, ABU 6500s and Diaiwa Millionaires loaded with 15lb line and 80ln shock leader.