Monster Mag 10 **Finished Pics 10/15/18**

Started by xjchad, June 06, 2018, 10:32:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xjchad

Monster Mag 10

I'm starting this thread now even though it might be a little while before it's done.  Mainly because it's hard for me to try to go back and remember all the little mods and tweaks that happen along the way.  I started this a few months ago, but it's taken a back seat to other life events for a while.  I'm hoping to get back into it and finish it up very quickly so hopefully I'll be updated this thread often.  
This build takes inspiration from several of you here (Sal, Mike, Mo, Joe and others) after reading all the different mods and upgrades and seeing all the different directions you've gone with this little reel to make it special.  I hope that my attempt will be of the same value to others.  

I started with an older model Mag 10 without the anti-reverse lever that I scored with a winning bid of $20.  

Sorry for the poor quality, it's the only "before" picture I had.  

My original plan was to go the same route Mo had with his by making it lighter and faster and use it for bass fishing.  I still want to find another one and go this direction one of these days.
Reading though lots of other posts I started getting other ideas and when I read some threads regarding faster gears for the Squidder, I thought, well I can beef this Mag 10 up to almost the strength of a 146 and have 4.0/1 gearing also!  I think it will end up making a great catfish reel as well as inshore bass and rock fish.

I've got a lot of different ideas that I'm working on putting together and making it all work.  Probably way more time and money than it's worth haha!  Should be a pretty fun reel when done though and hopefully some others will benefit as well.  
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Swami805

Always love to watch that innovation gene in action. Looking forward to it Chad
Do what you can with that you have where you are

xjchad

Quote from: Swami805 on June 07, 2018, 02:30:56 AM
Always love to watch that innovation gene in action. Looking forward to it Chad

Thank you Sheridan!
Should have the rest of the materials thus week to start on your Newell double dogs.

mhc

Sounds good Chad, I'm looking forward to see what you come up with.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

xjchad

Quote from: mhc on June 07, 2018, 08:16:44 AM
Sounds good Chad, I'm looking forward to see what you come up with.

Mike

Thanks Mike.  No where near the amount of modification you did on yours, but I am stealing a few of your ideas  ;)

xjchad

Levelwind removal.  All stainless steel.

Baby steps  ;D
Should have some more progress done over the weekend.

xjchad

I bought one of the new smaller shift levers from CC and was able to fit it to the Mag 10 with a bit of fiddling.

First I cut the locating end off of the original lever.

Then I shaped it to fit the locating end of the CC lever.

Then I tweaked the lever a tad and screwed it on.

It does have a slightly longer throw since it's slightly longer, but the o-rings keep it pretty close.
Once the drive train is in I'll see if I need to mod anything else.

Bill B

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Alto Mare

Very smart but Chad, thanks for sharing.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Gman_WC

Very nice.
Yet another board mod.
Thanks OP.
-g
Walnut Creek, CA

xjchad

Sneak peak of the stainless double dogs from Lee as well as the double mags.
I wanted to use an adjustable mag system, but the room is extremely limited and I'm not willing to sacrifice the clicker. (I love the sound of a screaming clicker!)
With the levelwind removed, I've heard this reel can be a bit unruly, that's the reason for the second mag.  The magnets I'm using are the same size as the original, but stronger.

xjchad

Don't worry JRD, I'll be getting to the stand upgrade soon  ;)

thorhammer

Awesome. I'd only recco a Teflon washer on the eccentric; using SS, you now have three electro-negativities to deal with, one being aluminum. Grease or epoxy in the insert? A little corrosion in the eccentric would wallow out your really tight tolerance. You have more patience with the diamond file than me, buddy!

David Hall

nice interesting project thanks for sharing.

xjchad

Quote from: thorhammer on June 12, 2018, 06:45:12 PM
Awesome. I'd only recco a Teflon washer on the eccentric; using SS, you now have three electro-negativities to deal with, one being aluminum. Grease or epoxy in the insert? A little corrosion in the eccentric would wallow out your really tight tolerance. You have more patience with the diamond file than me, buddy!

Thanks John!
I'll see if I can find a teflon washer for final assembly, and yes, all those components will get a nice layer of Penn grease  ;D