Monster Mag 10 **Finished Pics 10/15/18**

Started by xjchad, June 06, 2018, 10:32:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

i think i have a bunch. i would've sent you one. did you get the Jiggy sleeve yet?

xjchad

Quote from: thorhammer on June 12, 2018, 08:29:37 PM
i think i have a bunch. i would've sent you one. did you get the Jiggy sleeve yet?

I think I can scare one up somewhere.
I have not received it yet, when did you ship it?
I haven't checked the mailbox in a couple days though  :o
Husband, Father, Fisherman

thorhammer

Sat, and a package i sent to Hi has arrived so you should have it.

xjchad

Quote from: thorhammer on June 12, 2018, 08:55:34 PM
Sat, and a package i sent to Hi has arrived so you should have it.
PM'd you

Alto Mare

Looking good so far Chad, cant wait to see the finished product.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

JRD

Quote from: xjchad on June 12, 2018, 06:31:14 PM
Don't worry JRD, I'll be getting to the stand upgrade soon  ;)

Yea brother I'm watching!  It's looking great now, and will only be getting better.

mhc

Coming along nicely Chad, I'm looking forward to the next installment. I'm curious about the new dog posts - it's a bit hard to tell from the photo of the bridge, are the dogs sitting on the screws holding the new magnets extended through the bridge? The magnets look like they're in the same place as the original dog post and magnet hole.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

xjchad

Quote from: mhc on June 13, 2018, 12:47:19 PM
Coming along nicely Chad, I'm looking forward to the next installment. I'm curious about the new dog posts - it's a bit hard to tell from the photo of the bridge, are the dogs sitting on the screws holding the new magnets extended through the bridge? The magnets look like they're in the same place as the original dog post and magnet hole.

Mike

Mike,
Yes, I am using the original holes for the dog post and mag mount.  The screws go through those holes, but then into stainless posts that the dogs pivot on.
I'll post more details as I get it finished up. Thanks!

xjchad

Quote from: JRD on June 13, 2018, 05:16:50 AM
Quote from: xjchad on June 12, 2018, 06:31:14 PM
Don't worry JRD, I'll be getting to the stand upgrade soon  ;)

Yea brother I'm watching!  It's looking great now, and will only be getting better.

Thanks!  I realized I'm actually using the same stand as Mike did (30-49) but I'm mounting it a little differently.  I won't be doing near the insane mods that Mike did though, his skills are on a whole different level!

xjchad

Mike,
Here's a better explanation of the dogs.
I'm using 2-54 stainless screws, and stainless panel nuts.

I've counterbored the original dog post and mag holes about half way through the bridge so the panel nuts sit down into the counterbore.  You can see this in the original dog hole in this picture.  I also drilled and tapped a hole to attach the second dog spring.

As you mentioned, the screws for the dogs do double duty to hold the magnets as well.  I was concerned that the screws might be too small, but after countersinking the posts into the bridge, the dogs are plenty strong.  I've also set them up in sync as opposed to alternating to add extra strength.  I'm using Bryan's 5+1 drag kit and I'll probably load it with 30 or 40 lb. braid. 

Alto Mare

Chad, I never asked you this, are you a machinist?...cool stuff!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

xjchad

Thank you Sal!
Not really.  I did a few years running manual lathes and Mills making one offs, tooling, etc. Learned enough to be dangerous LoL!  Mostly I do engineering with some fabrication here and there.
We have an old Bridgeport I mess around with.

mhc

Thanks for the explanation and photos of the posts Chad - nice work.

Quote from: xjchad on June 14, 2018, 02:22:37 AMI did a few years running manual lathes and Mills making one offs, tooling, etc.
- that explains your neat work.  8)

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

xjchad

mo65

It's coming along great Chad! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~