Dating and Old Senator (Penn Senator that is not US)

Started by Farmer Mike, June 07, 2018, 06:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farmer Mike

Here is one from my collection, err accumulation.  No embellishment on clicker side, no number on handle side, I suspect if it a 9/0 size but no 115 or 9/0, it is bigger than a 6/0 .  Very old style foot ball handle.  Only marking reads PENN SENATOR Philadelphia, Pa.  Diameter of side plate is about 5".   Came loaded with linen line

Q1 Estimate of age/date pre 1940's?

Q2 Estimate of value, it is in used condition but still operates as it should  chrome is faded and some verdigris/patina.

For some reason I am more attracted to these worn reel over the minty ones with no back story.  I sat in a box for 60 years vs. someone worked my #### off and I still can go fishing today.

1badf350

I believe  that is a 1936 first model Senator. They were 9/0 in size. Good looking. Just needs a period correct eccentric screw.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Tightlines667

Nice reel!

No front harness lugs, and coin edged counterweight.  All parts should be non-numbered to be period correct.  I believe it is second style, based solely on the handle. 

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

philaroman

COOL REEL!

I'm just glad you're not trying to date a US Senator
you know why they don't like bookmarks?
they prefer bent-over pages  :o

Swami805

Looks like a 1st generation with some updated parts with part numbers. Nice reel
Do what you can with that you have where you are

sdlehr

The handle isn't a first-year handle (which was pear-shaped and wood), but I believe the rest of the reel (excluding the aforementioned eccentric screw) is first-year. What does the spool look like?
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Penn Chronology

With that handle it is somewhere between 1939 and just after the war. The catalogs show this style until 1948.

Maxed Out

The catalogs had old illustrations that went several years past when changes were made to the 9/0

Some will argue that several boxed pre war reels have been found tells us the 2nd generation configuration started sometime in 1940/41

In my honest opinion, this 9/0 is late 30's
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

David Hall

a bit off topic but everytime I read the title of this thread I cant help but chuckle to myself.  the myriad of things that roll through my pea brain.

Penn Chronology

QuoteThe catalogs had old illustrations that went several years past when changes were made to the 9/0

Some will argue that several boxed pre war reels have been found tells us the 2nd generation configuration started sometime in 1940/41

In my honest opinion, this 9/0 is late 30's

I agree with Ted. I feel that the Senators in the first generation build style were most pre-war. Catalog renditions were simply left over drawings, not 100% true to style. I also feel that parts of first generations build styles were probably shelved during the war and used up after the war. The Depression effect was still strong and Penn wasted nothing, old un-used parts were still good and had to be used up. So there was probably a time when both first and second generation build style were being released in the same post war era.

All too often collectors want a solid guide line to classify their finds in; but, the true history is not always like that.

The Great Maudu

Regardless of the what or when it's an awesome reel. If, you ever decide to sell it let me know. Best, Mike