Bent axle on a D-A-M Quick 220

Started by festus, June 08, 2018, 03:11:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

Got this 220 delivered today from the big auction.  It needed a little cleanup on the outside, but it was working fine, just a little stiff in cranking.

It had the usual old brown grease.  Didn't have any problems knocking out the pin that holds the crank assembly and handle which sometimes give me fits.

BUT had a VERY hard time removing the axle.  Had to pry it out with a clawhammer by the cross pin.  :-\  But it finally came out.

Everything went smooth with degreasing and cleanup, got the pinion bearing cleaned, oil, and secured back in place.  Got the drive gear assembly and handle and pin back in place with no problem. Got the bail assembly and spool assembly done right.

Then the axle wouldn't go back in.  Either it was already bent on the end where the flat part mounts the connecting block or I messed it up while removing it.   ??? ::) :-\

Any suggestions on how to straighten the axle?  Got the reel back together anyway, had an extra axle.

Reel 224

festus; Depending what direction the bend is, I assume that that the bend is on the end pointing down position if so you can try to put it in a vice and close it to take the bend out. Take it slow so you don't brake it off.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

oldmanjoe

Do you have a spare main shaft , if so clamp that and put the axle in backward and tweak it that way
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

festus

Thanks Double Joes, or Joe and Joe.  :D

I'll try one or the other tomorrow.  But the reel cleaned up pretty well. 

Got the parts to assemble another 220 I'm putting together for my brother-in-law whenever I get my rotor back from Fred.

mo65

You might be able to grind just a hair off that low side of the bent end...just enough to get her to slide back in. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Reel 224

You could try that, but if hole in the shaft is off. That presents another problem.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."