Preparing for Florida

Started by biggiesmalls, June 08, 2018, 03:37:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggiesmalls

Hey everyone,

I have the opportunity to go to Florida over potentially three weeks of the summer, wondering what you'd suggest bringing. If I can make all three trips, I'll be in Rosemary Beach one week, Sanibel/Captiva another, and Key West the third. What setups would you recommend bringing along? I'm not sure if I'll have a kayak, but I'm sure I could rent one or find someone down there to go out with.
Want to get shark fishing in, and tarpon/snook certainly wouldn't hurt. - Drew

Shark Hunter

Bait Rod- Small Casting or spinning Rig for artificial's or live bait. 10 to 20lb test.
Senator- for Kayaking baits out. 9/0 and up for Sharking. 80lb to 130lb test.
Big Surf Spinning Rig- for when the surf is too rough or you don't feel like kayaking. 40lb mono to 100lb Braid. A Big Reel. like an 8000 class that can handle Sharks or Tarpon.
Casting rigs and hooks, Sinkers, preferably claw style for sharking in the current.
Plenty of poppers and maybe some spoons to reach out there.
Pair of Gloves, A camera, Headlamp, bug spray, a Chair, Rod Holder, Small set of Bolt Cutters and a Dehooker.
Pack the Cooler, Lets Head out!
Life is Good!

Marcq

If it was me, something similar to this that I have used, would be, Penn 750SS, six foot six Ugly stick Tiger lite rod. I love those rods

Marc..

thorhammer

Drew, I'm around this weekend if you want to call me about your spinner set-up. That may be light for Florida but get going anyway. One thing to consider is taking a reel that could double on two rods for multiple surf / yak duty if it comes to that, to save weight.

sharkman

I live about two hours north of Sanibel. The inshore bite is pretty hot right now. If beach fishing pick you a good casting rod and reel with 12lb mono or 15-20 lb braid.

biggiesmalls

Two trips are officially booked, couldn't do one of them because of work though. First is somewhere in the Sanibel/Captiva area from June 26th to July 3rd. Second is Santa Rosa Beach from July 6th-13th. Anyone in the area feel free to stop by :)

Daron - like the way you think. I'll probably bring the 9/0, a light spinner (the one John is referencing - I've got the blank, just need a reel and some rod components), and then a casting rig. I have the 980 Mag Power right now, but I might see if I can't get a new setup before the 26th.

I may see if I can hook up with somebody in the Sanibel/Captiva area to go for tarpon - we won't have a boat at either location, and I am not sure about the kayak situation. And I certainly don't have any tarpon gear either - my equipment is either too heavy or too light for them.

Maybe I'll have to pick up an Avet SX before I go, I've seen some awesome reports on those little reels. Even 6'+ sandbar sharks from the beach have been caught on these reels, on the SOS forums one guy said the only thing that has even come close to spooling the reel was a 6'7" sandbar shark and a 5'8" foul-hooked sandbar shark. He's also got it on more of a boat rod and has caught bull reds, cobia, amberjacks, stingrays, you name it the reel has tamed it.
If I splurge I could get an SX Raptor and really handle some nicer fish :D

But sounds like overall, I'll bring the 9/0, lighter spinning rig for trout/reds/etc, then a bit of a heavier setup for casted shark baits and bigger boat/kayak/dock fish.

Drew

ReelFishingProblems

Due to air quality at in-laws in Hawaii, we may be doing local Florida trips instead. Wife mentioned a trip to Sanibel during this timeframe.
Can bring a bunch of setups if wife says it's a go.

Nick
Tampa

biggiesmalls

My mistake - first trip is Fort Myers. Not sure where I heard Sanibel
Drew

Benni3

Partyboats in Florida are great  ;D

Shark Hunter

Drew,
Florida is an abundance of opportunities.
If I had to take one rig,
It would be a 12' surf rod and a Fin Nor Lethal 100.
That is a $100 reel that packs a lot of punch.
I use many other options now.
No offense, But Avet or Shimano are not on my list.
I Hope you get on a Big Shark.
It will change your outlook. ;)
Life is Good!

*thomas*

Quote from: Shark Hunter on June 10, 2018, 07:40:03 AM
Drew,
Florida is an abundance of opportunities.
If I had to take one rig,
It would be a 12' surf rod and a Fin Nor Lethal 100.
That is a $100 reel that packs a lot of punch.
I use many other options now.
No offense, But Avet or Shimano are not on my list.
I Hope you get on a Big Shark.
It will change your outlook. ;)

That would be a cracking combo for going after sharks with surf gear. The only thing I would consider above the Lethal, is a Penn 10500SVV. I know there are a lot of stories going around the internet, but I have two of them and have used one from a buddy of mine, and we couldn't fault them, not even after 50+ sharks on his (including 5ft blacktips and 8ft tigers) and a lot of rays on mine.

Why choose it above the Lethal? Because of line capacity, that's the biggest problem of the Lethal. With the Penn, we could do 400 yard drops and have enough left of the spool to be safe with a sharks' first run.

I also used Penn 950ssm's, but the drag is not always up to the task and line capacity is between the Lethal's and SSV's. Furthermore, it's not really designed for braid.

Shark Hunter

I am a Penn Man. I use the classics mainly.
I chose the lethal because of the price for Drew.
There are lots of better options.
Life is Good!

biggiesmalls

Daron,
I am 100% positive the Penn's will work, I will likely bring the 980 Mag with me - because I know that reel can handle almost anything. But, I have heard great success stories of the Avet SX - and worst case I will buy it, try it in Florida, and if it doesn't live up to big fish there I will sell it with line here for a discount. But people have caught sharks, cobia, jacks, reds, rays, snook, bonita, tarpon, kingdish, and the list goes on and on. So to me this reel is worth a shot.
The Lethal for $100 is a great deal as well - there are some big-name anglers who have held these reels very highly. One is worth a look for me, but I would need a spinning rod to bring along - I already have a 12' conventional.

My little Daiwa 2500 with 15# braid will come along, for the trout, reds, beach snook, sheepshead, etc.
Then the 9/0 will get loaded and come for big sharks if I can get a yak anywhere down there.

Drew

Benni3

Thay did have a avet at the bargain cave in Bristol va marked down,,,but when I go to Florida I take a 706,,4/0,,9/0  ;D

Fishy247

If you do decide to splurge on the SX Raptor, you might want to go with the MXL. It's basically the same reel as far as size and drag capabilities, it's just a wider version so you get more line capacity.