My Dad got his first Sevengill! 20180607

Started by xjchad, June 08, 2018, 04:28:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xjchad

My Dad got his first Sevengill! 20180607

Met dad after work at the normal time to try a new spot out.  It looks promising, with good structure, access, and great conditions, but after two and a half hours we only had one bite on my rod and it was probably a critter.  

As dusk grew near, we made the decision to jump to another spot.  Conditions were great here too and we started soaking macs at about 8:00.  After a few minutes, I get my first knock down, a long screaming run straight out.  We all know what that is!  Not the target, but after a 10 minute fight I had mid 30's bat ray on the sand and fresh bait!  I dispatched it quickly and soon we had 3 rods out soaking chunks of bat ray.  
   About 20 minutes goes by and my dad gets a good thump on his rod.  He picks it up, feels a little pressure, and then nothing so he brought it in and rebaited.  I checked the bait on one rod and recasted.  Just as I'm setting the rod in the spike, I saw my other rod do the sevengill shuffle and ran to grab it.  Felt pressure and cranked down in it to set the circle hook and fish on!  Right then my other rod goes off!  I yelled to my dad who ran over and set the hook on a second shark, we got a double!  We fought both fish for about 10 minutes and I got mine in the wash first.  I had him hold both rods so I could get mine up on the beach.  This was a bad decision on my part as he wasn't able to keep tight on his fish and it was able to throw the hook.  We got to work unhooking, measuring and releasing the one I landed, a 91" male sevengill.

As I was getting my rods sorted out, my dad got another pick up on his rod.  He actually had this one on for a couple minutes.  Head shakes and tail slaps.  Then it goes slack again.  Grrrrr!  We hurry to get more bait back in the water as the Sheriff usually rolls through around 10:30 to kick us out.  My buddy Joe showed up about then and as we're talking my dad gets another big hit.  He runs to his pole and gets the hook set firmly and it's on!  This shark is pretty ornery and takes a couple good runs.  After a good battle I was able to get it by the tail and drag it up the beach.  Congratulations on your first Sevengill Dad!  
82.5" male sevengill on a bat ray chunk.

Great night for us and super happy for my dad's first sevengill!

xjchad:   Male sevengill, 91", outgoing tide, bat ray chunk.
GilB:   Male sevengill, 82.5" outgoing tide, bat ray chunk.      
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Marcq

Great!!! 8) What kind of equipment did you guys use?

Marc..

xjchad

My primary rod is a 12' heavy Penn Prevail with an upgraded Penn 9500SS loaded with 80 lb. braid.
My dad uses a 12' Daiwa Sealine with a Shimano 12000 baitfeeder spooled with 40 lb. Big Game.
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Marcq

Quote from: xjchad on June 08, 2018, 05:01:40 PM
My primary rod is a 12' heavy Penn Prevail with an upgraded Penn 9500SS loaded with 80 lb. braid.
My dad uses a 12' Daiwa Sealine with a Shimano 12000 baitfeeder spooled with 40 lb. Big Game.

Nice!!!

Marc..

Army_of_One

Nice work!  Catching multiples at the same time has always been a worry of mine.  I'm glad to see it can work out.
Another day in Paradise!

Swami805

Nice Chad. Just one a night is a great night. You guys are on fire
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Donnyboat

Great work Chad, nice report, one happy Dad, good memories, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Gfish

Great report, great pictures, especially that one with your dad holdin his shark! The look on his face is priceless!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

steelfish

yay!!

great story and better pictures, your dad face said it all, pure joy and exitement.
congrats to both of you
The Baja Guy

Shark Hunter

Awesome Chad!
Congrats to you and your Pop! ;)
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

👍👍
Congratulations to your dad... very nice.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Swami805

You guys are on fire. One a night is a good night. Contras to your Dad. Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

bhale1

Im going one step further...... look at the excitement on dads face..... Zoom in, crop it,....
Pic of the month!!
Brett

Crow

Looks like a great time was had, by all !!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

ChileRelleno

Congrats on Pop's first!
Sounds like a fun time, I love fishing Sharks on the Sand.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."