Spectra?

Started by Marcq, June 08, 2018, 07:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Quote from: Rivverrat on November 07, 2018, 02:18:28 PM
I've had no more issue casting braid than anything else. I dont touch it during a cast. Or as little as possible... Jeff

Tape your thumb with Flex Wrap or Vet Wrap.    I also use L2L connections for my short topshots (usually 15'-20' but I have some made up as short as 5') so a knot hitting a guide does not cause over runs.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Rivverrat

Lee, I've always left enough exposed spool for my thumb to control a cast. Found I can get far better distance much easier this way than letting my thumb ride the braid.

But then I've been around very few people that use conventional gear all the time. So my way of doing this might be wrong.
It's just been trial & error for me... Jeff

Keta

Thumbing the spool works.  I use small reels and fill them to the top so no spool thumbing for me.  I have been playing in the pasture with a Trinidad 12 on a 7' rod and it throws a 60gr jig over 100 yards.  After I cleaned and lubed the spool bearings with TSI 301 I had a few minor backlashes but I overcame that problem.  The TN12 has 250' of 40# Power Pro Depth Hunter on top of 40# JB solid.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

SoCalAngler

On reels I cast often like surface iron, plasitcs with lead heads and popper setups. I run long topshots, longer than I can cast. Unless you use more mag or thumb breaking than what is needed you will never get a backlash. I never use mag breaking and to get maximum distance with just your thumb you need to be right on the edge of getting one during a cast. Casting this way no matter how good you are sooner of later you will get a backlash. I much rather pick out a backlash in mono than braid, especially if I get bit by a hard charging fish while I'm knuckle deep picking out one. That's the reason I use longer toppers on these setups.

Everyone has their own preference and that's cool, I'm just stating what works for me.

P.S. I should also state I don't use spinning reels.

Keta

Been there a few times but fortunately my fingers were not in a loop when the line got tight and then snapped.  I run 100' topshots on my trolling reels to prevent wind loops from cutting the tips off my rods when a fish hits, done that once too.  I am trying to use spinners.

Mark Twain

Rivverrat

Ya I'd be the first to admit when I'm swinging for the fence with a cast it is in fact right on the edge of blowing up into backlash.
My backlashes now days pick out pretty quick & aren't near as bad or happen as often as they did years ago.

Like SoCal l generally use a topshot longer than my furthest cast. I do have two reals I fish with short leaders .

Use these in heavy current & when max distance is needed. No way I'm tossing any brand 60 mono the same distance I get with 80 braid... Jeff

Swami805

I don't use spinners either and use mono when for casting distance. I don't use any kind of cast control and get the occasional birdnest, I figure if I don't get a few I'm not trying hard enough. I thumb the line but thumbing the edge of the spool works too. Really helps to wet the line first. If I'm flylining with live bait I use braid with a very short top shot but that kind of casting is more a finesse thing so a backlash is minimal   Just grew up casting mono , be hard to change at this point
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Keta

I grew up using Dacron and mono is hard for me.  This summer I was forced to fish with all mono and I will never do that again.

Mark Twain

conchydong

The first spectra line that was sold in my area for offshore salt water fishing was called Spectron blackspot and made by Cortland. I still think it is some of the best spectra that I have ever used. It is no longer made.
I now use mostly JB or Tuffline for my applications. I miss the Spectron though.

Keta

Quote from: conchydong on November 08, 2018, 12:30:03 AM
The first spectra line that was sold in my area for offshore salt water fishing was called Spectron blackspot and made by Cortland. I still think it is some of the best spectra that I have ever used. It is no longer made.
I now use mostly JB or Tuffline for my applications. I miss the Spectron though.

I have some on a halibut reel, a 349H of course, that is close to 30 years old.

Mark Twain

philaroman

unfortunately, Cortland's out of the non-fly business
too bad -- they made some very solid mid-price stuff

oc1

Quote from: Keta on November 07, 2018, 11:36:59 PM
I grew up using Dacron and mono is hard for me.  This summer I was forced to fish with all mono and I will never do that again.
I still say that Dacron has the best feel of any line, and mono the worst.  It's a mute point now though because I will always choose spectra for the smaller diameter and being able to use a smaller reel.
-steve

Keta

I still use it for backing and my personal L2L topshots.

Mark Twain

Jeri

Just to fill in some of the background to spectra/dyneema. DCM in Holland were the original developers/inventers of gel spun UHMWPE, they hold all the parent patents, thought there might be some held by their licensees in Japan and US. They still make the micro fibre, that a lot of franchised weaving factories use to make specific variations on braided dyneema.

Because originally the technology was only there for 3 strand weaving, it came out as a very flat profile, subsequently with more and more micro strands being used the profiles have become more rounded. Likewise, because of the totally inert nature of the micro fibre, it doesn't take additional coatings well, and there lies a problem, because for differing applications the core material being white there has been the need to introduce colour to the finished product. Early on various weavers tried applying a heat treatment to allow colourants to be added but they generally compromised the core strength of the material. A recent development from DCM is a genuine black coloured fibre, which while considerably more expensive that the original - it does overcome some of the colourant problems.

Another factor in differentiating different weaves of dyneema is down to the number of weaves per inch, and the tension of the weave. These both have a huge effect on the final performance of the differing products. Fortunately down here in southern Africa, we have a weaver that weaves the original micro fibre from DCM for our surf fishing needs, and it is an exceptionally limp product, and best suited to use with fixed spool reel (spinners), and has taken the local market by surprise, especially on price.

Hope that helps clear up some of the smoke and mirrors around braided spectra/dyneema.

Cheers from sunny Africa

exp2000

Quote from: Jim Fujitani on November 06, 2018, 03:11:02 PM
And where does Western Filament (Tuff-line) fit into all of this?  They have been producing spectra lines for years, in the US.

Fins braid has earned a good longstanding reputation here in Australia.

But when I learned that local fishing legend; the late great Hal Harvey used Tuf-line XP on his own personal gear, that was all the recommendation I needed.

Not that I really get much time to go fishing lately, Tuf-Line is what I use on all my reels and I have been very satisfied wit it's characteristics and performance.

My only criticism is that as others have observed, like other braids it tends to shed its resin coating rather quickly.
~