Bloody Saturday

Started by Tightlines667, June 10, 2018, 05:05:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

Got the decks plenty bloody today. 

We went 6 for 6 on Ahi between 500fa-1500fa around Barber's Point area today. 

Invited to friends to go fish Ahi.  Left dock at 0400hrs, lines out @0510 @ BO.  caught/released a cuda right away.  Picked first fish at 0800hrs st Barber's 1500 fa pinnacle, got a second fish on next pass.  Worked N on 1000fa, and picked a third fish at 1000hrs.  Got a 4th st 1100hrs a little further N.  Moved into 500fa.  Hit Nanakule Canyon around 1145hrs, and had a bigger fish explode on the short corner, 30 second later, the short rigger popped.  Landed both fish.  Only enough ice/storage for 6, so pulled the lines and ran uphill for 2.5hrs, back at the dock by 3.

Auction prices have been terrible, so guess I'll sell to restaurants, individuals.  Still have 3.5 fish left to sell.

Nice to get into some more ahi action.

Great fish!

Great fishing!

5 of 6 on Ice Blue ova Pearl white, 1 on black salmon.

Get out there and catch some fish!

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Tightlines667

Pics..
Hope springs eternal

ChileRelleno

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Tightlines667

Thinking of fishing the Ahi Shootout next Saturday.

My friend is making Ahi sausage.  Gotta get the recipe.
Hope springs eternal

Shark Hunter

John,
I say you definitely have a shot at that Tourney.
You have a set of skills on that boat that definitely get it done.
Nice fish Brother. ;)
Life is Good!

Swami805

Thanks for the report John, great day on the water. Tournaments can be fun,give it a shot!
Do you guys ever pull any hard baits or plugs over there or is most of it on lures with a head and a skirt?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Gfish

Now's the time! Them fish bea eatin n' gonads bea plumpin up! Lookin like they're close to, or startin to spawn.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Jim Fujitani

Good Luck in the Tourney!

David Hall

Wow that's a haul!  What a day and back by 3.  I'd say you better join in with the tourney you smokin em right now.

Bill B

Epic Catching Trip Jon......give the tournament a shot.....they way you have been putting fish on the boat you have a chance....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Rivverrat

The very essence of Nice !  To have your own boat while having access to such fish! ... Jeff

Tightlines667

The auction has been flooded with longline-caught Ahi (100k lbs/day for almost 2 weeks now), and prices on troll caught YFT have been in the $1-$2.50 range.  I sold 1 fish there at $2.50, sold a fish to a friend for $3, and loined out the other 4 fish.  It took 2 days, 70 phone calls, and some work, but I managed to sell all 16 loins to various restaurants and markets at a $4.50/lb average.  Ended up grossing $1,800.  Instead of the $600-$800 I would have got on the block.  This brings my 2018 overall profits to $1.  I guess, I am an official commercial fisherman..lol.

The fun part of catching the fish only lasts a few hours, while the total time devoted to the trip easily exceeds 30 hours. 

Well worth it in my book though ;)

Wish me luck this weekend with 2 days of fishing, and the tournament!

John

Livin' the dream!
Hope springs eternal

54bullseye

Great looking fish John !!!!  Hope you do well in the tournament !   John Taylor

Rivverrat

John, I hope you do really well. Regardless I look forward to some good pics of the event... Jeff

bill19803

John 
you  are  lucky you  can  sell   your  catch   try  it on  east  coast  and get free room  and  board.