United Composites New 8' Raptor

Started by Rivverrat, June 10, 2018, 08:37:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

Just got back from fishing the warm water outlet. I took 3 rods. Two were my 8' Raptors. this gave a chance to really test these rods on some jumbo monster size carp.

The short of it is... after seeing I'm wrong about any assessment or statement I've made I like to get it corrected so others expectations can be met in a positive way.  So here it is.

My new & I think better thoughts on this rod is this, the  8' United Composites Raptor makes a fantastic rod for 60 that will fish 80 OK. If its fished standing up, not placed on the rail it will do 80  just fine. But once a rod is leveraged on the rail any short comings in rod or reel quickly come in veiw.

The Raptor is where United Composites rail rod models start. As you progress up UC's rail rod models you will find the 8' Raptor is very different than the others with the Centaur & Viper being next in the order. The Raptor is much more parabolic / softer in its bend as the blank comes to rest down a bit lower in the blank finding  it's sweet spot for line used. Where the  the Centaur & Viper have a much shorter soft tip. More so with the Viper.

Keeping in mind this is the 8' model we are talking about.   I find now that I agree with Mark & Alan's assessment of this blank.    It is best suited for 60 line with the caveat it will still fish 80 but with out the cushion it has used with 60 line... Jeff

Rivverrat

8' Raptor 25lbs. off the floor

alantani

under the left arm is the way mark fights fish.  i tuck the rod under my right arm.  i feel that i gives me more control. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Rivverrat

Quote from: alantani on November 21, 2018, 11:10:40 PM
under the left arm is the way mark fights fish.  i tuck the rod under my right arm.  i feel that i gives me more control.  

Alan, having never been into the fish that you all have available. I am still trying to find my way. Mainly through trying out different methods so I can get some Idea of what works best for people. I know going with the rod under right arm the rear of the rod needs to be longer than when using the left

MarkT

I like the rod under the left arm as in the picture above.  I find it harder to crank with the rod under my right arm, I feel like I'm binding up. Left arm for the rod, right for the reel works for me.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Rivverrat

Mark, I know exactly what you mean.

What your likely feeling is the effects of the rear handle being to short for tucking under your right arm.

There are question to be asked & measurements  that need to be known for a rail  rod to work well based on the person hieght, reach & whether they will tuck it in their left or right arm... Jeff