United Composites New 8' Raptor

Started by Rivverrat, June 10, 2018, 08:37:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

I'm very impressed with this new 8' Raptor blank that Randy, owner of United Composites has come up with.
It is nothing like the 7' & 7' 6"  versions. This is a true 80 lb. class rod that will fish 60 very well.

Easily tossing 2 oz. sinkers 70 yards with 60 lb. line using my US113.

Most  rods that I make for my use aren't any thing special to look at. Mostly just wrapped all black they are tools for my end purpose.

The blank weighed in between 15 &16 oz. Complete rod came in at 22 - 23 oz. Very happy with that finished weight.
I played around with different size guides & guide lay out casting & under load both.

Not all will agree with what I've done here.... when looking at both casting performance &  rod loading. This is the best lay out I came up with for this specific blank.

Starting with a size 25 stripper with second dropping to a size 16. All the other 8 guides are size 10.

This lay out cast very well & feels great when loaded... Jeff

Rivverrat

Oh & the handle..... click on the pics to make larger & turn right side up.... Jeff

sabaman1

Awesome, sounds like a real bluefin killer! Im going to check into the United Composite rods.
JIM

Rivverrat

Jim, If I can help you choose a rod or blank from UC's  rods or blanks let me know if you need any help I can offer.
I don't sell them  I just believe they are the best rods  made for heavy use... Jeff

alantani

very nice!!!!  this is the first i've heard of an 8 foot blank!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Rivverrat

Alan, this is an extremely nice blank for 80 lb. line. This will be the heaviest rod I need for the biggest catfish in North America.
Able to cast or lob out any size or weight bait needed. But It's not to heavy to hold all day... Jeff

Fishy247

I really like that aft grip. Is it a hypalon butt with Winn grip in between? Seems like that would protect the butt really nicely...

steelfish

nice rod Jeff, love the simplicity, you even didnt used underwrap on the guides.

do you went for a graphite reel seat over an alluminium one for the weight?
I debating on getting on of those graphite reel seats for my 40-80lb rod build or go for the ALPS centralock one, main use for mine will be trolling and bait so, weight is not much into consideration.
The Baja Guy

Rivverrat

Guides are under wrapped. I just didn't bring undewrap out from under & between the guide feet.

Thread there serves no purpose.
I wouldn't use a graphite seat on a salt water trolling rod

MarkT

and I wouldn't troll with an 8' Raptor!  It makes a good 60# bait rod for Guadalupe.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

steelfish

Quote from: Rivverrat on June 13, 2018, 01:27:03 PM
Guides are underrapped. I just didn't bring underrap out from under & between the guide feet.

Thread there serves no purpose.
you're right, pure cosmetic on that zone

Quote from: Rivverrat on June 13, 2018, 01:27:03 PM
I wouldn't use a graphite seat on a salt water trolling rod
same thing that I was thinking, thanks for comfirm my initial choosen accesories

Quote from: MarkT on June 13, 2018, 01:50:20 PM
and I wouldn't troll with an 8' Raptor!  It makes a good 60# bait rod for Guadalupe.
Either I amigo Mark, I wouldnt use a that awesome rod for trolling, its not where it shines.

my idea of a two task rod is a rainshadow RCJB84XH 7ft, paired with the mak15 will serve as light trolling rod (not for long periods during the day) and live bait rod, there is no reason to have a exclusive IFGA trolling rod for fish on the 20#- 40# in this zone and also when fishing on a panga you cannot bring too many rods for every specialized way of fishing that you can do on the same day as jigging, casting 3/4oz lures to the rocks, trolling, drop fishing, live bait, etc..

sorry for hijacking the thread Jeff.
The Baja Guy

Rivverrat

Rivverrat

Quote from: Fishy247 on June 12, 2018, 04:10:31 PM
I really like that aft grip. Is it a hypalon butt with Winn grip in between? Seems like that would protect the butt really nicely...

I used Winn with EPDM foam. This stuff is supposed to be as good as hypalon. Verdict is still out on this.  So far I'm really liking the stuff.. Jeff

Rivverrat

Quote from: MarkT on June 13, 2018, 01:50:20 PM
and I wouldn't troll with an 8' Raptor!  It makes a good 60# bait rod for Guadalupe.

Mark, I dont know what 8' Raptor you've used or seen being these are a fairly new release. I would have to disagree with you that this particular blank isn't as good for 80 lb. as it is 60 line, most any where it could be used.  
Every one whom I've spoke with, Darin Dohi, Randy Penny & several others, prior to purchasing one then another of these blanks all said it works very well for making an 80 class rod. My testing of this blank has proven this to me any way.

Different strokes for different folks. If I can ask, what rods are you using now for 80 ?

This rod cannot be compared to any of the other prior or presently made Raptors those are at their best with 60. I guess if some one is using a true 100 rated rod for 80 then no, this rod wouldn't work

EDIT:Mark I guess if your saying this rod feels better fishing 60 I would deffinantly agree.

Youve got me very curious as to your response... Jeff

steelfish

Quote from: Rivverrat on June 13, 2018, 05:57:18 PM

I used Winn with EPDM foam. This stuff is supposed to be as good as hypalon. Verdict is still out on this.  So far I'm really liking the stuff.. Jeff

Jeff

how do you like the EPDM foam grips so far?
I was told to stay away from EVA and hypalon seems hard to find nowadays.
this new material grips cost double than EVA grips
The Baja Guy