United Composites New 8' Raptor

Started by Rivverrat, June 10, 2018, 08:37:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

Alex, I am really liking this stuff. It's liteweight & seems to be very durable & very grippy when wet. I did have some issues slipping it into place on the blank during the rod build.  So after marking rod where the EPDM  would go I applied epoxy in this area.  Then dropping the EPDM down blank to where it stops on its own, I applied rubber cement down to the epoxy.

This works very slick & the rubber cement rubs right off with your hand after its dry. No mess like when using epoxy to slide grips into place. No body else that I've spoke with using this grip material has had the issues I did. I think I should have orderd it with a bigger inside diameter. But anywhooo I'm very happy how it came out & so far very impressed how it performs when fishing.

Unless an issue over time pops up, when ever I'm building for lighteweight & durability, on my own rods, this will be my go to material for rod grips when not using cork.

steelfish

Well seems like it worth the shot for my trolling Rod build
Thanks compadre
The Baja Guy

Darin Crofton

Nice looking rod you've built, would something like that be a good jigging/live bait for bottom fishing for big snapper and grouper? Thanks, Darin
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

alantani

it would be interesting to see an 8 foot raptor, side-by-side, with an 8 foot centaur.  in the 7.5 foot versions, i use the raptor for 60 pound and the centaur for 80 pound, with 30% drag settings.  guessing that the 8 foot blanks are "mostly" the same, i would be inclined to stick with those line classes. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

mo65

That is a very interesting rod Jeff. I've seen the spiraled guides but never where they just spiral to the bottom like spinning rod guides...cool! I bet it does load great, I like it. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Rivverrat

Quote from: mo65 on September 27, 2018, 02:50:48 PM
  That is a very interesting rod Jeff. I've seen the spiraled guides but never where they just spiral to the bottom like spinning rod guides...cool! I bet it does load great, I like it. 8)

Ive not built the number of rods that some here & else where have. However I have come to the conclusion that a lot of folks over complicate the rod building process.

Which I believe is a simple thing when one keeps in mind  the end goal.  

With that said as I searched the internet & talked with people about Acid / Spiral rapping rods one thing became clear to me.
 A lot of people make it a hard thing. Some even seem to forget the end goal. Which is to equaly spread the load on the blank with proper guide spacing....

More Later... Jeff

thorhammer

This build looks really sweet- the finish looks impeccaple, and when everything is in gloss black any imperfection would stick out to me. Lemme know how the winnwrap holds up, I have some waiting to use.

Hey Jeff, did you figure out where to land on your "client' rods?

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Rivverrat

Quote from: thorhammer on September 27, 2018, 07:45:54 PM

Hey Jeff, did you figure out where to land on your "client' rods?

No not really. I have some 8' Ugly Stiks that will be re wrapped to spinning. I have 3 of these that  I will cut 6" from the tips. So I will need 6 more 7' rods that will fish 50 line. Wanting to put some level of Quality while still being durable in the hands of those I take out I'm looking at these blanks  http://www.unitedcompositesusa.com/rods/challenger-advantage/

Rivverrat

Quote from: thorhammer on September 27, 2018, 07:45:54 PM

Lemme know how the winnwrap holds up, I have some waiting to use.

This stuff is great. Its tacky with out being sticky & seems to be very durable. I wouldn't put it against the rail with a big one one on sliding it down the rail following the fish. I'm very pleased with it & will make use of it again... Jeff

thorhammer

Thanks. I switched the bench over to rods this week so will be getting back after it.

Rivverrat

I think you'll be very pleased with it. I'm going to build a heavier than normal rod for my little Torque 12 & will be using nothing but this for the grip... Jeff

Rivverrat

OK, I would really like to hear others thoughts on this blank. Specifically if you would classify it as an 80 rod. I've a lot more time with it than I did when I originally posted this.  Right now my thoughts may have changed a little.  Dont get me wrong. I loves the two 8' raptors I built for myself they have seen regular use.  Just very curious to hear what weight line you would use most with it... Jeff

Rivverrat

These rods work very well with 80 line for me & the fishing I do.
However I'm now thinking a lot if you would use it for 60.

Being that a lot of people like to have a rod with certain amount of flex & lift left when fishing what ever line rating they are using.

Personally I find it has a little more to give when fished 25 lbs. of drag ..Jeff

Darin Crofton

I'm going have you make me one of these someday! Put a xn 4/0 on it with 65 braid and 50# top shot, will use it to throw live baits to cobia and bft behind shrimp boats off our coast...
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?