alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Shotgun question
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
December 10, 2018, 02:52:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shotgun question  (Read 2205 times)
JRD

« on: June 11, 2018, 03:51:27 PM »

I'm looking at a pump gun in 20 guage for Wifeys home defense.  I've never been a scatter gun guy, more pistols and rifles and I have my own brand loyalties there.

Mossberg is making tactical shotguns rigged as I want and ready to go, but my old memories always heard Remington 870 over Mossberg.  Of course in the Corps we had All weather Mossberg.

What's the current choice.  The initial buy in is not too far apart, but the mods necessary to the 870 will double the price compared to Mossberg.  All opinions and advice welcomed.
Shark Hunter

The Rogue of the Seven Seas!

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 04:23:53 PM »

I have always been an 870 Man. The looks and aesthetics just make a better looking Gun.
If I'm shooting trap. I will have an 870 or 1100.
My home defense gun is an 8 Shot Mossberg Persuader in 12 Gauge.
If it were for my wife, I wouldn't hesitate to get a Mossberg Cruiser or Persuader in 20 gauge.
They both hold 7+1 and are in the $350 range.

* IMG_3472.JPG (2212.29 KB, 2272x1704 - viewed 45 times.)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 03:21:06 AM by Shark Hunter » Logged

Life is Good!
cwillis85

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 04:47:21 PM »

In my former life of chasing bad guys, we were issued an 870 wingmaster with tactical stock that held 4 additional rounds for quick change to slugs. It is a tried and true fire arm. Good for dragging through hell and knowing rounds will fire each and every time. For home defense pretty much any firearm will fit the bill. They are all decently made, keep them oiled and it will last. Have her hold or better yet shoot a few and make a decision based on feel. Something that in the heat of the moment will be natural to point in the right direction.

Chris
Gman_WC

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 04:54:53 PM »

I picked up a used 870,  20ga a few years back with an extra barrel. At half the weight/ recoil, but 80% on hitting power of a 12ga, either would be a good choice.
It's only a matter of familiarity with the platform.
I own a b.c 12ga 590 and fully loaded its heavy.

Walnut Creek, CA
Vintage Offshore Tackle
Photo Group

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 04:56:23 PM »

My two cents: The Winchester Model 12 holds 7 and you can hold the trigger down and it fires every time that you slam it closed, but it would be a shame to shorten the barrel for inside use.
JRD

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 06:05:48 PM »

I have always been an 870 Man. The looks and aesthetics just make a better looking Gun.
If I'm shooting trap. I will have an 870 or 1100.
My home defense gun is an 8 Shot Mossberg Persuader in 12 Gauge.
If it were for my wife, I wouldn't hesitate to get a Mossberg Cruiser or Persuader in 20 gauge.
They both hold 7+1 and are in the $350 range.

That.was my thought from a $ point I f view.  The tactical side is more.about weight savings and short.throw on the stock, along with a for grip or loop that's easier to pull in a stress situation.  She hasshot my 9mm and .45 as well as my hunting rifles from 10/22 up to my Savage .458 Win Mag (Once was enough).  But never a shot gun.

It was my idea to talk her out of a side arm and into a shot gun as she will not spend tons of range time and shooting through walls is my own personal fear.

I know our local motor cops use an all weather 500 but I agree the 870 feels so much smoother.  I guess a trip to Turner's and some range.time is in.order. 
theswimmer

Sierra Nevada

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 06:36:08 PM »

I've had a bunch.
Model 12 Winchester , 1st choice.
870 is close but no cigar......
Now I will say the big boat has an 870 in the closet😎

Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing.

Clark Gable
Gfish
Gfish

What? Me worry?

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 06:43:47 PM »

Got the 870 Police Mag. and shortened it more with a pistol grip. Used a borrowed Mossberg Marine Mag. in Alaska, for (thankfully not-needed)bear protection.
 I prefer the Mossberg because of the magazine capacity. My Remie, for backpacking and home protection, I load with 2 - 6 or 7 birdshot shells, then 1 - 00 buckshot and lastly a 1 oz. slug. A couple more shells in the magazine would be nice.
Nothin like the sound of a pump action to scare intruders.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 06:44:41 PM by Gfish » Logged

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!
foakes

Sierra National Forest

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2018, 06:48:52 PM »

My opinion would be also an 870 in 20G.

You have a choice of variations — from standard, express, tactical — choice of barrel lengths.

Not super expensive — Turners is a good source on sale.

Can hold 5 or 7 shells.

In my experience, seldom is a (1) shell even needed for two legged varmints — the sound of the slide clambering a round...is unmistakeable, and a powerful deterrent.

Head out in the country, set up some jugs and targets so your wife gets the feel of range, power, noise, and kick.

Do 100 rounds.

Take her out again in 2 weeks for another 100 rounds.

You will never be sorry on the 870, IMO.

Our neighbor saw a rattlesnake in the shade of his tractor last week.  Went inside to get his shotgun.  One shot — missed the snake since he had #2 shot, and was a bit excited — kicked up some dirt and the snake slithered under the floor in his pump house.  Next day, snake is out again — he loaded #8 shot and blew his head off — 9 buttons on the rattle, 3’ long.

Best,

Fred

“Of course, now I am too old to be much of a fisherman, and now of course I usually fish the big waters alone, although some friends think I shouldn’t. Like many fly fishermen in western Montana where the summer days are almost Arctic in length, I often do not start fishing until the cool of the evening.

Then in the Arctic half-light of the canyon, all existence fades to a being with my soul and memories and the sounds of the Big Blackfoot River and a four-count rhythm and the hope that a fish will rise.

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world’s great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.

I am haunted by waters.”

― Norman Maclean, A River Runs Through It
PacRat

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 07:48:00 PM »

I'm with the majority on this Remmy 870 all the way. There is a youth model 20 ga. with a short LOP (length of pull) and an 18.5" barrel. You can get a factory mag extension for it and it will be good to go. Avoid pistol grips and tacticool doo-dads...just my two cents worth.

The only advantage with the Mossberg is the tang safety is ambidextrious. If your wife is a righty...go with the Remington. If she is of a small build; definitely go with the 870 Express Compact Jr. The 12" LOP will save you the cost and trouble of shortening the buttstock. If I'm not mistaken the receiver is slightly slimmer also.

Good luck with your choice
Mike
MarkT

Mission Viejo, CA, USA

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2018, 08:19:02 PM »

Remington vs Mossberg is like Ford vs Chevy. Both make great shotguns that have, and will, stand the test of time.  Pistol vs shotgun? Split the difference with a Taurus Judge or a S&W Governor! Start with a couple of .410 and then some .45 (Colt for the Judge or ACP for the Governor). Anyone coming in your house seeing one pointed at them will back out quick. Of course anyone hearing a round racked in a pump gun will exit quickly too if they know what’s good for them.

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!
1badf350
Firearms Group

-Chris

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2018, 03:03:29 AM »

this is what you want. Skirts the NFA requirements
https://www.mossberg.com/category/series/590-shockwave/

-Chris
Keta
D'oh!

Klamath Falls, OR US

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2018, 06:08:40 AM »

this is what you want. Skirts the NFA requirements
https://www.mossberg.com/category/series/590-shockwave/

Hard to control but looks good in the movies, a full length stock and short barrel is far better for in the home shooting.

I have a 18" barreled 20ga Winchester M 1200 with sights that works well, I grab it before my semi-auto w/pistol grip 12ga Berretta 1201 FP.  A 20ga Remington 870 would also be a good choice. 

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain
Gobi King
Firearms Group

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2018, 01:33:59 PM »

I have a small house and a shorter rifle is needed to be maneuverable.

FYI: I have a gas piston 223 semiauto short barrel loaded with frangible ammo for zombie invasion.

May I suggest game ear or other loud noise protection which allow voice etc to pass through, if you ever discharge it in a close space the noise might dis-orient you.

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan
1badf350
Firearms Group

-Chris

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2018, 02:48:18 PM »

You will not have time to put hearing protection on.

-Chris
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: