alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Shotgun question
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
June 18, 2018, 11:15:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shotgun question  (Read 470 times)
1badf350

-Chris

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2018, 02:48:18 PM »

You will not have time to put hearing protection on.

-Chris
handi2
Sensei

OCD Reel Service and Repair

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2018, 03:20:21 PM »

I bought the legal short barrel Remington 870 home defense gun. Its never been fired in 3 years.

Its a little heavy for me. My legs are worthless in the wheelchair and the weight of the gun makes me fall forward. I have to scoot my butt way out front to counter the weight. Its the same thing i have to do when fishing. I think the pistol grip would be better for me.

I had a lightweight shotgun years ago that had a composite barrel. I sure with I had it now.

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL
STRIPER LOU
Sensei

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2018, 04:08:30 PM »

The 870 for simplicity would be a great choice and Dick's has some pretty darn nice deals on them every once and a while. Pac Rat brought up a good point with the youth version.

I wouldn't turn my nose up on a good, used Mod 12 either although a bit heavier than the 870. I restored a bunch of them when I had the gun shop.
I think one guy beat every brush pile in New England with his. Mechanically it was great, cosmetically it looked as though it was used as a club.

Mossberg's are a bit ruff but functional. It all depends on what the pocketbook can afford. Good luck with your choice as you have several options!

.............Lou
PacRat

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2018, 05:57:50 PM »

A good read: http://www.backwoodshome.com/consider-the-20-gauge-shotgun/

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/Remington-Model-870-Express-Compact-JR-Pump-Action-Shotgun-with-Synthetic-Stock

« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 06:49:06 PM by PacRat » Logged
Swami805

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2018, 04:27:33 AM »

I have a 410 called a snake charmer, the barrel and butt are as short as legal and it will almost fit in a holster. It's a single shot break barrel, can shoot it one handed. Would only be good at short range like in a bed room. I figure if you miss with the 1st shot you got a problem only a  full auto will solve. Anyone can shoot it and it won't go thru a wall unless you're using rifled slugs.
There's alot to be said for the sound of pump chambering a shell, that's for sure. I worked in Inglewood Ca back in the day and we each had a Mossberg next to our desks. It was a horrible neighborhood back then and twice we had incidences where they came in handy. That sound was all it took thankfully.
CapeFish

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2018, 05:44:08 AM »

I wish the sound of a shotgun being loaded or a single shot snake pistol will deter criminals where I live, you guys have friendly crooks  Smiley We have AK wielding gangs that blow up cash in transit vans in broad daylight
MarkT

Mission Viejo, CA, USA

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2018, 06:28:53 AM »

Well then, you don't need a shotgun, you need a moving van!

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!
CapeFish

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2018, 06:35:12 AM »

Smiley They drive the vans off the road by crashing into them with cars with air bags then use explosives to blow the vans open, it's the wild south here!
Gfish
Gfish

What? Me worry?

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2018, 09:21:52 AM »

Loaded-ready to hopefully scare away an intruder- tip, fora pump action shotgun. In Alaska, we carried Mossbergs with a round chambered and the saftey on. "In the heat of the moment"(charged by a grizzley?) pressin off the safety is easy to forget unless you obsessively train yerself. Also the firing pin is always cocked.
If you can afford to be missin one live shell, chamber a spent one, fire into it(avoids dry firing), leave the safety off, and you are ready to jack a live one in the chamber with that threatening sound, and immediatly pull the trigger, if need be. Your firing pin may last longer too( just a theory).

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!
Benni3

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2018, 09:31:27 PM »

When me and my neighbors had problems with theft,,,,I used a spring trap,,,,,,and it worked  Grin
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 09:44:36 PM by Benni3 » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: