alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Shotgun question
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
September 25, 2018, 09:46:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shotgun question  (Read 1798 times)
handi2
Sensei

OCD Reel Service and Repair

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2018, 03:20:21 PM »

I bought the legal short barrel Remington 870 home defense gun. Its never been fired in 3 years.

Its a little heavy for me. My legs are worthless in the wheelchair and the weight of the gun makes me fall forward. I have to scoot my butt way out front to counter the weight. Its the same thing i have to do when fishing. I think the pistol grip would be better for me.

I had a lightweight shotgun years ago that had a composite barrel. I sure with I had it now.

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL
STRIPER LOU
Sensei

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2018, 04:08:30 PM »

The 870 for simplicity would be a great choice and Dick's has some pretty darn nice deals on them every once and a while. Pac Rat brought up a good point with the youth version.

I wouldn't turn my nose up on a good, used Mod 12 either although a bit heavier than the 870. I restored a bunch of them when I had the gun shop.
I think one guy beat every brush pile in New England with his. Mechanically it was great, cosmetically it looked as though it was used as a club.

Mossberg's are a bit ruff but functional. It all depends on what the pocketbook can afford. Good luck with your choice as you have several options!

.............Lou
PacRat

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2018, 05:57:50 PM »

A good read: http://www.backwoodshome.com/consider-the-20-gauge-shotgun/

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/Remington-Model-870-Express-Compact-JR-Pump-Action-Shotgun-with-Synthetic-Stock

« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 06:49:06 PM by PacRat » Logged
Swami805

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2018, 04:27:33 AM »

I have a 410 called a snake charmer, the barrel and butt are as short as legal and it will almost fit in a holster. It's a single shot break barrel, can shoot it one handed. Would only be good at short range like in a bed room. I figure if you miss with the 1st shot you got a problem only a  full auto will solve. Anyone can shoot it and it won't go thru a wall unless you're using rifled slugs.
There's alot to be said for the sound of pump chambering a shell, that's for sure. I worked in Inglewood Ca back in the day and we each had a Mossberg next to our desks. It was a horrible neighborhood back then and twice we had incidences where they came in handy. That sound was all it took thankfully.
CapeFish

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2018, 05:44:08 AM »

I wish the sound of a shotgun being loaded or a single shot snake pistol will deter criminals where I live, you guys have friendly crooks  Smiley We have AK wielding gangs that blow up cash in transit vans in broad daylight
MarkT

Mission Viejo, CA, USA

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2018, 06:28:53 AM »

Well then, you don't need a shotgun, you need a moving van!

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!
CapeFish

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2018, 06:35:12 AM »

Smiley They drive the vans off the road by crashing into them with cars with air bags then use explosives to blow the vans open, it's the wild south here!
Gfish
Gfish

What? Me worry?

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2018, 09:21:52 AM »

Loaded-ready to hopefully scare away an intruder- tip, fora pump action shotgun. In Alaska, we carried Mossbergs with a round chambered and the saftey on. "In the heat of the moment"(charged by a grizzley?) pressin off the safety is easy to forget unless you obsessively train yerself. Also the firing pin is always cocked.
If you can afford to be missin one live shell, chamber a spent one, fire into it(avoids dry firing), leave the safety off, and you are ready to jack a live one in the chamber with that threatening sound, and immediatly pull the trigger, if need be. Your firing pin may last longer too( just a theory).

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!
Benni3

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2018, 09:31:27 PM »

When me and my neighbors had problems with theft,,,,I used a spring trap,,,,,,and it worked  Grin
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 09:44:36 PM by Benni3 » Logged
R46chevy

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2018, 09:05:49 PM »

Sold a lot of each when I worked at big 5. I own both, 870 &500. 2 cents when chambering the 500 is louder and a more distinctive noise, first warning after that they are the same.

I tend to like the 500 better, also lighter. Find a recoil stabilizer stock for it and take some time to shoot it, shooting it will make second nature if anything happens. The 500 can be found with two barrels for under 300$,

Just remember that the person should have powder burns on them if anything happens. Also a high base 4 shot is a great home defense load, has more than enough stopping power, without the over penetration.
Bill B (Tarfu)
Fish Nutritionist II
Sensei

Crestline, CA

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2018, 11:31:42 AM »

Years ago when my boys were hunting dove with me, I picked up a 500 20 ga with a youth stock and adult stock.  Believe it or not, I'm a full size guy and found I like the youth stock for jump shooting dove in the trees.  On dove there was no difference between 12 and 20 ga.  Another option is a side by side.  Stoeger make a 18" coach gun.  I'm currently shooting the longer stoeger uplander with 26" barrels and completely happy.  Bill

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!
Rivverrat

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2018, 03:41:06 PM »

this is what you want. Skirts the NFA requirements
https://www.mossberg.com/category/series/590-shockwave/

Hard to control but looks good in the movies, a full length stock and short barrel is far better for in the home shooting.

Because of the grip design these really are not all that hard to control. Now the short barreled shotgun with "true pistol grip" is just not a pleasant thing.

870"s however in a 20 gauge personally  I would stay away from them for defense. The 1100 makes a great defense gun in 20 guage as does Mossberg  in the SA-20. the semi autos further reduce felt recoil. The Mossberg has no need to replace gas seals as the wear out. A lot women & men find they like a youth model if offered for the chosen make & model.

Far more issues keeping a pump running whith the stress that will come vs a semi auto. I use a pump, love them, but what I like is not always the best for others & it doesnt change the proven facts of this matter.

For this purpose the 20 is great. Only a coroner will be able to tell the difference between 20 & 12.

Dry firing most any recently made firearm will not damage it. Unless your talking about an excessive amount of times like thousands of cycles.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 03:46:57 PM by Rivverrat » Logged
foakes

Sierra National Forest

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2018, 04:25:04 PM »

Just my opinion...

It may be “old school” — but for a protection weapon for my wife in our home — it would need to be some sort of a pump, 20 gauge, with a padded stock.

Reasons? —

With a side by side or over/under — the only safe way to store this weapon in a ready/safe position is with the breach broken open — and the safety on.  This now requires the shooter to chamber a couple of shells, close the stiff breach in order to shoot — verify that the safety is off and ready to fire.  Even if you fire 10 boxes of shells every day of the week — and are super familiar with you and your weapon — this is an unacceptable time lag when an intruder enters your home in the middle of the night — and you are excited and perhaps still sleepy.

Cycling a shell from the magazine to the chamber with a pump is an unmistakable sound —

It accomplishes 3 things —

It is a mental and physical verification to the shooter that the weapon is ready to fire — no taking eyes or weapon off the intruder — confident and positive counterforce.

95% of the time, during this sort of incident — the mere sound of cycling a round into the chamber — diffuses the situation into no shot required.

If the situation requires firing the weapon — a no hesitation decision is possible with just a trigger pull.  And an immediate rechambering of a second round.

For me, it may be different, since I am very comfortable with nearly any familiar weapon — with my wife, it is a different matter — and this is what we do in our home.

We need to remember, most of our wive’s are not Mrs. Rambo — and the one time they may be required to brandish a weapon — they can’t be wondering, hesitant, or not confident. 

Simple, positive, effective.

Again, just my opinions.

Best,

Fred

Before first light — with nothing less than wonder, and humility — I scan the cool, dark waters for the coming horizon — and the hope of what that deep unknowing might hold for me today...

——————————————————

Nothing happened. The fish just moved away slowly and the old man could not raise him an inch. His line was strong and made for heavy fish and he held it against his back until it was so taut that beads of water were jumping from it. Then it began to make a slow hissing sound in the water and he still held it, bracing himself against the thwart and leaning back against the pull. The boat began to move slowly off toward the north-west.

Santiago knew what he was in for, his lifelong experience had prepared him...

From Ernest Hemingway’s — “The Old Man and the Sea”

"At the Office"
conchydong

Pompano Beach, FL

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2018, 04:31:12 PM »

My fishing buddy bought the Mossberg 500 Mariner with the regular pistol grip. We went offshore and gave it a go on floating objects. While it would be fine for a defensive situation , I didn't like shooting repetitively with this grip versus a regular stock. Other than that it was a fine shotgun. It came with a waterproof tube and some survival gear that is nice for the boat. As a home defense shotgun that double duties as a boat gun in a salt water environment, I would give it a thumbs up.

* mossberg.jpg (14.34 KB, 500x165 - viewed 42 times.)
George6308

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2018, 05:30:39 PM »

Most of the company's loading 20 Guage have a light load 7/8 once of shot or spreader loads. RST comes to mind. Remember at the short range for inside home shooting the shot load has not separated or spread and will hit as a solid ball of shot. The other problem is penatration of building walls (sheat Rock) which might endanger someone in the next room or if God forbid thru a window striking someone out side the house.
As to make or type of shotgun they all work.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: