small reel (8 pound line) with clicker

Started by q3fishboy, June 12, 2018, 12:12:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

q3fishboy

Hey -

I was interested in finding a small bait casting reel with a clicker.

Planning on fishing 8 pound line or so and hoping to not spend too much.

Would prefer a low profile reel but fine with a round reel as well.

Thinking like shimano 200 sized or smaller (fine with other brands as well).

I know a couple companies have low profile reels with clickers but they all seem to be 300 sizes?

Anyone have any ideas?  Thanks a bunch.

Roy

philaroman

KNUCKLEBUSTERS, if you don't need drag or distance   ;D

seriously, though...

CHEAP: Tica Kokanee Special

NOT CHEAP:  http://www.hookless.com  can supposedly custom-make a 4500 Abu w/ a clicker

Marcq

Quote from: philaroman on June 12, 2018, 01:13:31 AM

2) http://www.hookless.com  (NOT cheap) can supposedly custom-make a small Abu w/ a clicker

Actually on ebay you can find a very decent Abu 4600, add a 6500 side plate and you have a clicker, or do a slot on the original and get the clicker assembly

That's my 5500 with a 6500 side plate

Marc..

philaroman

also, some old(80's?), black lo-pro Ryobi & Shimano were especially button-happy... 
I mean, if it has a rear thumb release AND a flipping switch AND a third button -- what else could that third button be?

Keta

The ABU 3500 I picked up a few months ago has a clicker.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bill B

X2 on the Tica.....I bought one used and used it three years fishing for salmon on the Sacramento River.  I was fishing with 20 lb mono, and it had plenty of drag.  Casts well and the level wind never failed even on a 36 lb King salmon.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Normslanding

Take a look at a Langley Streamlite, you can find them on ebay. Look for one with a flat screw holding the handle on, NOT a acorn nut. The ones with the flat nut have a one piece main gear and shaft. They cast better than the ones with a two piece gear and shaft. I also remove the level winds. The Streamlites, and also the Targets will fish 2-10lb line. They will fish 2lb well, not many conventional reels that will do that. Also don't over fill them with line. I have over 30 Streamlites, and 8 or 9 Targets, I would not trade on for anything. I would not recommend them for Wahoo fishing!

oc1

I've been using a modified Langley Target a lot lately for casting 1/4 ounce jigs.  Amazing little reels.  Extremely light owing to the aluminum construction.  Probably the worlds first large-arbor whiffle spool.  They have the type of freespool clutch where the handle is pulled outward to disengage the main from the pinion.  What is that style clutch called anyway?.  With very light gear oil it will cast the same distance with or without the spool disengaged.  

I removed the top cross post and cut down the tail plate to make it palm better.  Then added a few magnets to make it cast thumbless.  Sorry Norm, that's probably sacrilegious.  It's on a Phillipson travano/tobacco rod blank from about that same period (early 50's I believe).  

There seems to have been two styles for the Target.  One has a little lip to smooth out the top of the tail plate for palming.

Oh... and a clicker too.
-steve

festus

Quote from: Marcq on June 12, 2018, 02:00:12 AM
Actually on ebay you can find a very decent Abu 4600, add a 6500 side plate and you have a clicker, or do a slot on the original and get the clicker assembly

Marc..
That's what I've done here but the colors don't match.  Reel works just as well and the fish don't know it.

q3fishboy

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys.

Got super busy and was out of town, so, sorry for not responding earlier.

A little more context - fishing light weights + bait from a pier and need to be able to cast.

Without the clicker, I'm always afraid to put the rod down for a second for fear of it going over the rail.

philaroman

oc1

Backing off the drag is safer than using free spool with a clicker.  Depending on the strength of the clicker it could backlash if something snatched it fast enough.  Once backlashed, over the rail it goes.  Some reels have a click when line is pulled out against the drag.
-steve

Marcq

Quote from: oc1 on June 26, 2018, 11:56:45 PM
Backing off the drag is safer than using free spool with a clicker.  Depending on the strength of the clicker it could backlash if something snatched it fast enough.  Once backlashed, over the rail it goes.  Some reels have a click when line is pulled out against the drag.
-steve
That's what I often had to do even with strong clickers, backing off the drag

Marc..

Marcq

Quote from: festus on June 16, 2018, 09:10:58 PM
Quote from: Marcq on June 12, 2018, 02:00:12 AM

Marc..
That's what I've done here but the colors don't match.  Reel works just as well and the fish don't know it.

Black and red actually looks good

Marc..

thorhammer

Dunno why it just hit me this morning....Penn 920 / 930 / 940 is your huckleberry....