Wobbling 24-113 knob

Started by Farmer Mike, June 17, 2018, 12:21:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farmer Mike

Is there any way to tighten up the knob on the handle spindle there is some play in mine.  Seems like the rivet needs to be hammered down but there is no access to the top through the oil fitting.

Gfish

No knowen way from the top. Everything in the knob assembly is formed and riveted together. I believe there are 4 parts: knob; chrome/brass outter shaft; inner brass rivet; and oiler cap. I've been able to "farmer rig" it(pun intennded) by cutting a small gap in spacer washers and forcing them inbetween the bottom of the knob and the handle.
One of my dad's favorite terms was "farmer rig", he was from the Northern mid-west.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

alantani

mike, i think that it can be done, but you have to start by pressing off the plastic grip to fully expose the rivet.  gotta look at that someday. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Shark Hunter

Sal did this by heating the shaft and pulling the knob off.
It is here somewhere. :-\
Life is Good!

sdlehr

Quote from: Shark Hunter on June 22, 2018, 05:33:15 PM
Sal did this by heating the shaft and pulling the knob off.
It is here somewhere. :-\
I remember that too, but not the heating part. It's just pressed on.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Alto Mare

Quote from: alantani on June 22, 2018, 03:53:56 PM
mike, i think that it can be done, but you have to start by pressing off the plastic grip to fully expose the rivet.  gotta look at that someday. 
Yep! on smaller reels the knob could be pressed out, I use my 1 ton press , another member (Mike) made a nice rig using a vise.
This method will usually not work on larger reels, if I remember correctly, from the 6/0 and up.
You could still get lucky though, you will need to heat the shaft carefully and grab the knob with a towel and pull it off.
If the flame touches the knob, it will damage it, so you will need to have a good flame and good distance.
When you're all done doing this, there is a chance on some the handle will get lose again :-\

If your handle is for the small reels, just grab yourself a replacement for a couple of buck and call it done.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.