Testing the China reel on Halibut

Started by gstours, June 12, 2018, 02:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Now that the weekend is over and stuff is put away,  I wanted to take you fishing from your armchair. ;)
  The reel is a little two speeder and has been a good place to learn about drag cams and curves.   Seems to be ok.  Butt still has poor freespool when the presetting is sorta max.  I,m not done yet.   More to learn. ???

Dominick

Quote from: gstours on June 12, 2018, 02:59:35 PM
Now that the weekend is over and stuff is put away,  I wanted to take you fishing from your armchair. ;)
  The reel is a little two speeder and has been a good place to learn about drag cams and curves.   Seems to be ok.  Butt still has poor freespool when the presetting is sorta max.  I,m not done yet.   More to learn. ???

Hey Gary, which reel are you talking about?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

David Hall

I never get tired of admiring your Butts!

Ron Jones

That's why I'm not thrilled about lever drags. Apparently you can set the drag where you don't have free spool even when it is backed off? If you don't set it that way you won't get max drag and no matter what you can chew up an extra bearing that is on the pinion? None of this sound fun.
I'll stick with stars.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

gstours

Thanks for the interest,🎣  butt no.  🤦‍♀️When the parameters are set these lever drag reels are the bomb....very simple and capable.  ⭐️ drags are great,   Butt it the two speed that makes it waay better.🤷‍♂️
   In earlier posts i did some work on the drag cam,  it's a ❤️ hate thing.
  I've got name brand reels that are good,  I wanna make this one even better for my kind of fishing 🎣
I would not waste your time if you're not wanting to learn something.🐠

Dominick

Go for it.  That is the basis for this site.  We want to learn.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Gobi King

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Ron Jones

I wasn't trying to offend anyone. You clearly know how to catch halibut better than, well better than anyone I know! I hope you enjoy whatever gear you decide to employ, I was just talking about my preference.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

gstours

Thanks butt  I would sink, if I had to take the ATani swimor get reel test 🤦‍♀️   Just saying.🙋‍♂️
    There is no right or wrong when you get close to what works,   Preferences usually take over.
Dats good as you know what you prefer and I,m still searching.

Swami805

I'm a star drag guy too but low gear on a 2 speed sure comes in handy.Get a big tuna straight  up and down, push the level to full, and put it in low,it's a game changer. They both have their place.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

gstours

To stop searching for the unobtainable is not an option.   Hope and luck is the eternal 🔥 flame that a good fisherman should always have in their tackle box.🍀🙏🐟