solid glass blank or E-Glass blank for a budget trolling rod

Started by steelfish, June 13, 2018, 05:49:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

Guys,

can you school me on when a solid glass blank is used?
Im thinking to build me budget rod as loaner rod, my initial idea is to use a Rainshadow solid glass blank 60-100lb (.695x220x72), being a solid glass I wont be worried to highsticking practices mistakes from friends, if wont be used as loaner I can use it as exclusive trolling rod.
but I havent saw lately any build on which I notice the builder is using a solid glass rod.
in the other hand I can do almost the same rod with FSU56XXH for just little bit more money, mostly asking to the rod building folks when a solid glass rod is mostly used and when I E-glass rod is recommended.

as you might know, fishing in Baja and from a Panga there is no place for high end rods like Blackhole, phenix, seekers, etc, many guys have and use those rods on panga fishing (I actually have some of those nice rods too) but you cannot avoid that from time to time the panga in service doesnt have rod holders and the rods are banging all over the place on every single bump (sea of cortez is bumpy as hell).
The Baja Guy

thorhammer

I have many solid glas rods that mostly are used in beater trolling applications. or bottom fishing if you aren't opposed to holding on to it all day.  they are virtually indestructible. trip and step on it: doesn't crush. tip in car door? no sweat. need tomato stake? yep, that too. they are just heavier and maybe slower in response. if you are willing to step up to E glass you might get a faster tip and lighter weight, but again if someone stumbles on wave in panga and steps on it, solid is better. that is why party boats in the US use solid blanks and snake guides with no insert to bang out on gunwhale / rail.

PS: I have started to include panga in my boat search. very expensive and not very prevalent here on East Coast tho.

steelfish

thats is exactly the reason Im asked about this blank
actually my idea is to use also the twist guides to make it 100% fools proof.

thank Compadre John

The Baja Guy

MarkT

Alex, never underestimate the power of stupid!  You think it's idiot proof? Well, along comes an idiot to prove you wrong.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Fishy247

The cool thing about a solid glass blank with the coil guides is if you "accidentally" run it over with your truck, you can use a pair of pliers to fix it! Of course, that's only if you run over a guide....

steelfish

Quote from: MarkT on June 13, 2018, 08:50:45 PM
Alex, never underestimate the power of stupid!  You think it's idiot proof? Well, along comes an idiot to prove you wrong.

I have seen that many times...
those are the persons Im afraid to let them use my goto reels and rods, too dang many stories of guys losing the whole rig into the water while fishing.
lately, I have no shame to say "nop, amigo, you cannot use that rod/reel" when I beginner want to use my goto combo, I used to have loaner reel/rod but gave them as gift to a friend, now Im missing that combo when taking first timer friends to fish.

anyway, thanks for remain me that Mark
The Baja Guy