Daiwa Catalina/Saltiga LD 30SH

Started by Fish-aholic, May 29, 2018, 05:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fish-aholic

Been handed a couple of these JDM reels that are both problematic (same problem). After having a peek through one, I'm stumped and I'm in need of some wisdom.

I could not find anything wrong, all bearings seem good; when testing strike, I can only get about 7-8lb of drag on a spring scale, but when I begin to wind the line I just pulled off the spool, a knocking noise develops when cranking. If I put the lever into free spool and back to strike, the knocking sound disappears, until I make another pull and problem reappears.

If I minimise the preload tension knob, the knocking goes.

Can anyone please shed some wisdom upon this problem, I can shoot a video if it would help?

Steve

alantani

it's gotta be either gear noise or a rub......  :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Fish-aholic

When knocking is present and I slow down the crank, the handle will stick in segments. I don't know this reels working range from stock, but I can only get 6lb at strike and retrieve as normal, set any higher and knocking returns.

This reel was sent off to be mono magged and as such voided any warranty with the manufacturer :-\

Fish-aholic

Nailed it down to the backup AR dog. Once removed reel functions as per.

Question is, should I leave it out for my friend? The type of fishing required of these reels - small sharks from the shore - I believe the AR bearing should be ample alone.

handi2

I would put it back in. It got out of place when you put it together.

The trick is to make sure the drag pressure plate, the anti reverse ratchet, and the pinion gear all are in place.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Fish-aholic

I put the backup dog back in situ and problem returned. During assembly I have the spool placed within the cage and place them on top of the exposed drive that's facing skywards, a slight turn of the handle nestles all into situ. Problem returned when tested.

I removed the AR dog retaining plate and screws, leaving the backup dog still in situ, assembled reel and tested, works as it should.

*edit*

Having inspected the other problematic reel, I can see the screws fastening the drag plate to the spool are scored, as are the screws for the AR dogs retaining plate.

Now left to figure out how to alter the tolerances to stop the binding ???

I checked against the schematic before starting and noted a few differing parts from the reels on my bench. I noticed there are no shim washers between the pinion gear and pinion bearing inside the reels I have in front of me, as per schematic (34). Going to be a two week wait at least to order said shim. There's also two shim washers found nestling in between the r/spool bearing and spring, in both reels; none on the schematic.

I hope this amendment helps...

I appreciate the assistance up to now! :)  

Fish-aholic

Had a chat with the owner and he doesn't want to wait because of a planned trip. I decided to remove .2mm from a 1mm thick dog retainer plate and two reels are operating as they should with backup dogs in situ.

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Steve