Misc Questions

Started by Reel Beaker, June 14, 2018, 06:32:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel Beaker

Quote from: Keta on June 17, 2018, 11:56:17 AM

The drag setting with mono and spectra should be the same if the OD of the line on the spool is the same but mono stretches.

So a spool with 50 pound mono will output more drag than a spool with 30 pound mono?

Reel Beaker

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on June 17, 2018, 10:22:57 AM

For spooling braid I used to use the 2 reel method (as already mentioned) but that got old very quickly. So I built a line spooler - 'The Drag Queen':

Do tackle shops build their own spoolers like this or do they just buy one off someone else?

Crow

No, I think what they meant was the diameter of the spool : i.e. at the point the spool is "filled too", affects the drag setting     the more line that's on the spool     the more "leverage" that's applied to the drag....so the drag will "slip" easier. In the case where there is almost no line on the spool......less 'leverage', and the drag won't slip as easily.
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

handi2

These are what most tackle shops use to spool reels. I have the HD140

The line cutter Lee shows i have 2 of them. You can also but a big box of kids safety scissors and have enough for a couple of years. They are cheap with rounded ends so you dont stab yourself.

http://trianglesport.com/cms/
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Tiddlerbasher

In the UK there are no reliable line spooling services. If you want a line spooler you buy from abroad or make one (my choice). Braid requires drag (approx 10lbs) when spooling mono only requires finger pressure. Too much drag with mono and you can destroy a spool :o

Keta

Quote from: Reel Beaker on June 17, 2018, 03:10:54 PM
Quote from: Keta on June 17, 2018, 11:56:17 AM

The drag setting with mono and spectra should be the same if the OD of the line on the spool is the same but mono stretches.

So a spool with 50 pound mono will output more drag than a spool with 30 pound mono?

No, a spool filled to the same OD will have the same drag no mater what the line is.  Not the line OD but the OD of the spooled line.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Gobi King

I learned from here that you hafta load the line under bit of drag so the gets on the spool tight.

I finally caved and bought the bees knees line spooler off amazon, $140 but money well spent, I do not have an automatic winder yet so I just load the line spool on the line holder, set the drag and reel the line on to the spinning reel.

Worked well for the smaller reels that I have tried.

as an alternate you an take your reel to a sports goods store with a line winder and they will do it for you for few $$$
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Keta

Quote from: Gobi King on June 18, 2018, 03:31:14 PMas an alternate you an take your reel to a sports goods store with a line winder and they will do it for you for few $$$

Many, but not all, sporting goods stores do not know how to properly spool Spectra.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

It is just like changing your oil.
I don't trust them to do that either.
I can still do it myself and know it is done right. ;)
Life is Good!

Tiddlerbasher

Quote from: Shark Hunter on June 19, 2018, 04:58:48 AM
It is just like changing your oil.
I don't trust them to do that either.
I can still do it myself and know it is done right. ;)

Yup! I echo that sentiment Daron

Reel Beaker

Quote from: Crow on June 17, 2018, 03:17:05 PM
No, I think what they meant was the diameter of the spool : i.e. at the point the spool is "filled too", affects the drag setting     the more line that's on the spool     the more "leverage" that's applied to the drag....so the drag will "slip" easier. In the case where there is almost no line on the spool......less 'leverage', and the drag won't slip as easily.

OOps. Does that mean the reel with a higher drag had less line on it than the other?

handi2

What it means is as your line gets lower and lower on the spool the drag increases without you doing a thing.

Don't worry about this on spinning reels.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL