Reepairing Reels

Started by Reel 224, June 14, 2018, 08:29:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

let me start by stating, this site is the most comprehensive site on servicing reels and I have found it to be very helpful in my learning to repair reels and service.

That being said, I've found out in my experience that there are times when I have to walk away from the bench with a problem reel and just think about what I am doing to solve it. By that I mean some times it's better to think out the problem and approach it with a cool head, I have found that to work 99% of the time and 1% I'll ask a question on the site.

That does not mean to say if you are just starting out to service or repair reels you don't ask questions, but if your somewhat of a experienced person take the time to think it out first. Take pictures It's a thousand words when explaining you problem. IMHO

Joe   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

xjchad

Very good advice Joe!
Thanks  :)
Husband, Father, Fisherman

happyhooker

I'm with you, Joe.  Sometimes, just letting something "stew" a bit will allow a solution to arise.  I have burned myself being in a rush and trying a "maybe" solution, only to find out that the correct answer would have come if I had just pondered the issue a bit.

Sure, don't be afraid to ask a question, but you'll get more satisfaction if you figure it out yourself.

Frank

steelhead_killer

A good nights sleep always helps me...
><)))">

Midway Tommy

I don't have a real big issue figuring out the problem, or what it is, but I have found that a little hiatus from the problem allows me to come up with a more efficient and easier solution, especially when parts are no longer available and I have to make a new part from scratch or transform or adapt an existing part to fit from some different reel. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Swami805

I'm the same way since I joined. I have tupperware contianers with lids And if I'm getting frustrated I just pack it up and move on to something else. I'll get to it later and figure it out. Never solve anything in the wrong frame of mind
Do what you can with that you have where you are

mike1010

I've done some of my best problem-solving driving alone with no tunes or any other distractions.

Reel 224

Another good aspect on this site is the ability to purchase custom reel parts and assemble them from the base up, teaching us how the assembly's work in conjunction with each-other.

Also Alan's tutorials as well as others will teach us how to go about assembly and maintenance. There are no shortcuts. Study,Read and learn. Then ask questions. Oh and take pictures.

Joe   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

basto

When I cannot get new parts for a reel, I have sometimes bought a "spares" reel only to find that it is in better shape than the reel I am trying to fix, so the reels swap roles.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Gfish

Quote from: steelhead_killer on June 15, 2018, 12:16:58 AM
A good nights sleep always helps me...
I know, huh. I wake up and insteada getin up, visualize the problem, its possible cause, and often times a unique possible solution. All before my coffee!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

alantani

can't count the number of times i've "woken up" with the answer.......   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

TheReelShop

OMG I read this and felt an energy inside. I felt I was the only one. I have had cases where I have to step out for a sec mentally 100%. The funny thing is that on the initial of leaving haha I don't want to. Its almost a feeling of defeat. But hey it does work when you do leave.
I once worked on a Makaira 130. I had never seen the position of the spring for the 2 speed button. I never forget it flipped out and I was Ahhhhhhhh..
Schematics didn't reflect much on position. Well this spring came apart around 6pm. ended up figuring it out around 3am.  I learned to step back since then hahaha

Reel 224

It's not that it's defeat when you walk away, but rather it gives you the chance to think it out. Nothing beats a try but a failure. Like Alan said sometimes you have to sleep on it. Any how, It works for me.

Joe