Penn 160

Started by Alto Mare, June 15, 2018, 10:27:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Two days ago, the guy that I use for my dumpsters had this reel on a broken rod in his truck.
I asked what was the deal with that reel, he said it was his 10 year old kid... a gift from his grandfather.
He mentioned the kid only used it once and it wouldn't go out of gear. He was trying to get it fixed.
I love fixing these reels that are handed down to grandkids, so I mentioned that I knew a little about these and that maybe I could
look at it.
Here is the reel:

As you can see, the pinion on the plastic spool was welded , I didn't even bother removing it.
I made it narrow and gave him a few  goodies, he said he got a huge bird nest the first time he used it, so I gave him a few magnets :).
I also gave him a bigger handle, I had a piece of wood that was leftover and already rounded.

His grandfather is still around and I believe he has a little boat. Gives me a good feeling helping a kid making memories with his pop- pop.
I will hand deliver this one, I want to see his face :).

Best,

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tiddlerbasher

Shark Hunter

Pay it Forward Sal.
You are a Good Man. ;)
Life is Good!

Swami805

Nice Sal on many levels
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

thorhammer

awesome work and awesome sentiment, Sal.

mhc

What are the odds? The kid's dad bumped into the world's most generous Penn restoration expert that happened to notice his reel in the truck - well done Sal.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

reelrepair123

sal,   you are the best,  God bless.  harryk

foakes

Great result, as usual, Sal —

Helping folks is the best reward.

I do hope that they are able to appreciate what has gone into that reel besides the custom parts.

And, I hope they get it out on the water soon to bring home some fish.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

xjchad

That's awesome Sal!
Wish I could see the smile on his face as well!  ;D

If you start making those handles more, I'd definitely start buying them!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

mizmo67

Well done job, Sal!
I hope he gets lots of trips in with pop pop
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

Maxed Out

Lol, Gramps might just want the reel back now that it's been rejuvenated.

Someday that youngster will pass it on to his grandkids....with a cool story to go with it !!
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Reel 224

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Benni3

Great job thats a hot rod reel uncle Sal ;D

George6308

Well done Sal. We need more input with the younger generation to keep the sport going.