Fishing Pole and Spooling braid

Started by Reel Beaker, June 16, 2018, 06:47:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel Beaker

So guys, i saw some fishing poles on discount and was wondering how do we rig them up? By fishing poles i really mean poles, no line guides, no reel seat, not fishing rods... Tried googling it up, but it appears that depending on where you live, fishing pole=fishing rod.

Got some 40 pound braid today, and looking for some way to spool it effectively. I have no fancy spooling machine or whatever.
Thanks.

Marcq

Quote from: Reel Beaker on June 16, 2018, 06:47:22 PM
So guys, i saw some fishing poles on discount and was wondering how do we rig them up? By fishing poles i really mean poles, no line guides, no reel seat, not fishing rods... Tried googling it up, but it appears that depending on where you live, fishing pole=fishing rod.

Got some 40 pound braid today, and looking for some way to spool it effectively. I have no fancy spooling machine or whatever.
Thanks.

I think you're talking about rod blanks, do a search for rod building forum, you'll find information on how to build rods

About the braid, it's important that you keep tension on the braid while spooling, I use a glove, you can also use a towel
Is it for a spinner or a casting reel?

Marc..

philaroman

do you mean fiberglass telescopic panfish poles w/ just one eye at the tip?

Reel Beaker

Quote from: philaroman on June 16, 2018, 11:09:13 PM
do you mean fiberglass telescopic panfish poles w/ just one eye at the tip?
Not sure whether there is a eye at the tip but yeah its telescopic, no guides and reel seat. Not sure what a panfish pole looks like either  :o

Reel Beaker

Quote from: Marcq on June 16, 2018, 07:07:09 PM
Quote from: Reel Beaker on June 16, 2018, 06:47:22 PM

Thanks.

I think you're talking about rod blanks, do a search for rod building forum, you'll find information on how to build rods

About the braid, it's important that you keep tension on the braid while spooling, I use a glove, you can also use a towel
Is it for a spinner or a casting reel?

Marc..

Nope, its not a rod blank. Spooling a spinner

droppedit

Oh yes back in the day when we all used cane pole for panfish. This video might help.

Dave
Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

philaroman

PANFISH = any fish small enough to fit in a frying pan

that's the right type of pole, but really cheap, low-quality

almost everything else he does is WRONG!!!

Tiddlerbasher

Pole fishing, in the UK, is very common at most freshwater fisheries. Poles of over 60ft are now typically available (thanks to carbon fibre). They are fitted with an elastic line, usually hollow, and a fine tippet for delicate presentation. The elastic protects the fine tippet enabling quite large fish to be tamed - like double figure carp.
They allow for precise positioning of the bait at distance.

http://www.allfishingbuy.com/Fishing-Pole-14-18.htm

philaroman

that's loaded/elasticated poles -- quite different
the cheap panfish poles are closer in concept to the Whip poles favored by Italians, East-Euros & Asians

Tiddlerbasher

By 'loaded' are you referring to seperate sections that push together - In the UK the process is referred to as 'shipping' or 'unshipping' a section. The shorter whip type pole, for margin fishing, can be tied directly to the tip or more commonly fitted with elastic. They can come in telescopic or put together sections - I have used many types of pole. Then again there are telescopic Japanese Tenkara poles for fly fishing (not tried that yet). They are all essentially a fixed line pole.

Reel Beaker

Quote from: philaroman on June 17, 2018, 11:15:26 PM
PANFISH = any fish small enough to fit in a frying pan

that's the right type of pole, but really cheap, low-quality

almost everything else he does is WRONG!!!

what did he do wrong?

droppedit

I guess for some simple isn't good enough
Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

conchydong

We just used a long single piece of bamboo in the old days with a piece of line tied to the end for pan fish. Hard to travel with though due to their length.
The extra line wrapped around the pole was in case the tip broke on a big fish but we didn't bother with that most of the time.

droppedit

yup, that's the way we used to rig them. When I was growing up in Florida almost everyone used them. For a cane pole you didn't need a license. I remember my dad would rig up 6 and we'd row around the lake until we could smell the crappies then set an anchor and load up on "specks". Some pretty fine eating and fishing was pretty simple. It was just as fun as it gets. Spent many hours on a Sat or Sun morning with my dad. Sure miss those days.

Dave

oc1

Sheephead fishermen used say a long calcutta cane pole was better than a rod and reel.  The pole will stealthily reach around rocks or pilings and having the line dangle straight down makes it easier to feel the delicate bite.
-steve