Fin-Nor Question

Started by 54bullseye, June 16, 2018, 09:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

54bullseye

Hi John Taylor here. I recently bought a Fin-Nor box with a 4/0 reel in it off Ebay some of you might have seen it. The box is kind of neat it's black colored with a neat pattern to the paper covering the cardboard and the label is in pretty good shape as well I will post a few pics after the question. I am wondering if any body has seen this label and might know it's approximate date ?  It Says " Fin-Nor and has the old Marlin / oar logo" pictured on it then it says "Anglers Mfg. Co. Miami 48 Florida" below. I have googled it and searched it every way I know how and have come up blank ! I can't use the reel to date it because seller says reel wasn't original to the box. The box came out of an old tackle shop in West Palm Beach, Florida that was owned by George Debay who was the sellers grandfather. I can't even find the "Miami 48" address or "Anglers Mfg. Co." in my searches ??? Any body out there seen one like it ??  Dates or info ??  I have also looked through the books on Fin-Nor that I have and quite a few catalogs. Any help would be appreciated !!     Thanks !     John Taylor

54bullseye

I forgot to mention that on the bottom of the box it says "4/0 and B33" written in pen.   John Taylor

Gfish

Cool. Sorry, got no info., but it's probably gonna be a great "where and when" mystery to unravel.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oc1

54bullseye

Quote from: oc1 on June 17, 2018, 12:36:38 AM
between 1956 and 1963.
-steve

Okay Steve fill me in on details ?  How do you know this ?

54bullseye

Quote from: oc1 on June 17, 2018, 12:36:38 AM
between 1956 and 1963.
https://trademarks.justia.com/716/88/fin-nor-71688472.html
-steve

I see the 1956 start but not the 63 ? But 63 catalog has the # 48 Miami in address so does the 1957 but the logo that apears in both catalogs is different.  John

oc1

In 1963 the U.S. switched to the five-digit zip code.  Everyone had to have new stationary printed and update their Rolodex.  Much excitement and anguish, but it would have been unseemly not to comply.
-steve

54bullseye

Well I guess I answered my own question with a lot of help from Steve. He informed me that zip codes had all changed to the 5 digit codes by 1963. Then I was looking through Ed's book "Fin-Nor The Legacy Years"  again this morning and found a small picture on page 53 with the caption saying "The first Fin-Nor catalog produced by Angler's Manufacturing Co. a branch of Southern Tackle- 1958" So I guess the box can be narrowed down to 1958 to 1962 as when they were made !! Here is the picture from the book. From all my searching and reading this is the only thing I have found that mentioned "Angler's MFG. Co."    John Taylor

Robert Janssen

Some of the Fin-Nor patents are under the Anglers Mfg Co name as well.

54bullseye

Robert do those patents fit that 1958 to 62 time lines ?    John Taylor

Robert Janssen

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!