Mo's 2018 Virginia Beach Trip

Started by mo65, June 17, 2018, 12:27:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

Quote from: Ron Jones on June 17, 2018, 12:10:47 PM
I'm not thrilled about paying to fish off of a pier, but the fish are coming in no doubt.

Before we got there, I had the same concern, but considering the pile of fish we took, that $10/24 hr. fee seems almost a steal! We gave away a lot of fish too. I was way "over gunned" with my Penn 210 catfishing combo and my Shakespeare 2091A spinning behemoth. Next time I'll have the right size gear. We learned a lot on this trip.

Quote from: conchydong on June 17, 2018, 12:06:28 PM
Looks like you were using a hand tied dropper loop chicken rig with Mustad 39977 EZ Baiter Long shank circle hooks. That is identical to what I tie and use for Blueline Tiles and Vermilion Snappers in S. Florida. Was that the boats rig or did you make that? Just curious.

Yes, that was the boat's rig, but we tied up the same rigs for the pier only using smaller hooks. We had them wrapped around a foam chunk for easy transport without trying to tie in that insane wind. I think the next time we'll apply what we've learned and bring our own gear for the deep drop too. I'm so glad we didn't do like some of them...bring the wrong gear and create messes. The mates were so disgusted with one guy. He had mono on his reels, and it would stretch under the boat and tangle our lines on the opposite side, over and over. :-\

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Shark Hunter

Awesome Trip Mo!
Thanks for taking us along. ;)
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Looks like you had a good trip Mo.
We're you able to take the fish home?
Very nice.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mo65

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 17, 2018, 10:03:37 PM
Were you able to take the fish home?

Yes...we had one cooler full of Roundhead and the other cooler was full of Tiles and Sea Bass...all filleted and iced for the ride home. When we reached my brother's place in Parkersburg we tossed some butter and garlic in a skillet and seared two Tilefish fillets just to see what we had. I'm impressed, it was very good. 8)

conchydong

If you think the Bluelines are good, wait until you eat the Goldens. That will be your next trip.

Hardy Boy

Mo: You are a seasoned "salt" now ! You will have to come over to the left coast and give our fishing a try: start with AT in Northern Cal, fish with Lee in Oregon, Ted in Washington then catch a ferry to Vancouver Island and hit me up for a trip!! I think we would hit it off just fine plus I could get a few Southern cooking tips from you.

Cheers:

todd
Todd

Crow

Thanks for taking us along, Mo !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Donnyboat

Glad you got some good fishing Mike, thanks for the report, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

steelfish

Quote from: mo65 on June 17, 2018, 12:27:08 AM

...... and I thought my arms were gonna fall off before we limited out.

just like fishing in fresh water right amigo?

I have a love & hate relationship with deep drop fishing

excellent trip, I normally never have time to fish when traveling for busines, just one time in Denver, fishing for trout, but it didnt produce any fish just a great experience.
The Baja Guy

Reel 224

MO; you guys kicked butt!! :D Very nice Drum.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

FatTuna

Those redfish look huge. What baits were they fishing? I've always wanted to catch tilefish. Maybe on my next trip down south.

Reel 224

It's said that Tile fish age the poor man's Lobster.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

mo65

Quote from: FatTuna on June 22, 2018, 01:53:46 AM
Those redfish look huge. What baits were they fishing?

Those reds were caught on mullet.

Quote from: Reel 224 on June 22, 2018, 12:24:56 PM

I'll go along with that Joe...it's a lot like lobster...white sweet meat.

Rivverrat

Quote from: Reel 224 on June 22, 2018, 12:24:56 PM

Joe

First Ive heard this... Jeff