Father's Day Weekend Bite

Started by Tightlines667, June 18, 2018, 05:50:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

I managed to make it out all day Friday, fished the Ahi Shootout Saturday, and a few hours solo today.

Friday

I took the day off, me and 2 friends left the dock at 0400hrs.  We ran to the BO, arrived by 0515hrs, and set the 9" Ahi baits.  The plan was to prefish the southside for Ahi Fever.  The BO was full of life, lots of birds, 40-60lb Shibis, 10-20lb Aku, and plenty of Mahi.  First pass, and the water eeupts on my longrigger bait.  Clip popped, and fish was gone.  My friend trolled past just behind me with ballyhoo rigs, and picked up a 40lb Shibi on the planer board.  We worked the area, but I refused to downsize or put out my ballyhoo rigs to catch smaller fish since I wanted to find ahi.  I trolled past all my spots, and found big rafts of birds at each, but it was like evryone was taking a nap.  I had to return to Koolina by 1500hrs to take care of some stuff, including attending tye captain's meeting.  My prediction was the bite was best during the first hour, and from 1500-1800hrs, so I chalked my zero up to having to come in early.

Saturday

Left Ko'Olina at 0345hrs.  Ran to starting line, and formed a plan for the day.  In an effort to get away from the crowd, fish the leading edge of the warm water plume, and take advantage of the flat water, we decided to head to the Kauai Pinnacle.  

We ran w/only 2 jets in all the way to the 1000fa point W of CO, where we put out the same spread as the day before.  Fished the area throughly, since it looked really good, birds, boils, and Sperm Whales.  No bites.  Once things settled down we trolled the edge out to the Kauai Pinnacle, turned around and headed back along the North side.  Just as I crawled up front to take a mid-day nap, as we were running along the Eastern twin bank, short corner exploded.  Marlin ran into short rigger, and both reels started smoking.  After he was out about 600-700yds he swttled down and we got things in order.  After getting 300yds back on the reels, the short rigger came free, and we cleared the light tangle.  Brought the fish to gaff in 35 minutes.  136.8lb Blue Marlin.  Crew stayed excited all day, because they were convienced it weighed 150lb+ and was going to win largest Blue.  We searched where we started, CO, then V, then worked the 1000 back.  Back at the dock at 1600hr sharp.  Several more Blues were reported near the end of fishing, and our fish was bumped (based on estimates) from 1st to 4th place.  We had a great day on the water, just can't figure out why I couldn't find an Ahi on Ahi day...lol.

Sunday

Slept in, went and sold the Blue for $3/lb, and got a ride to the boat.  I left Ko'olina at 1200hrs and set a simple 4-7" bullet/invert spread for tye solo run home.  As soon as I got my spread ser, the long rigger pops and a lit up Blue starts putting on a show.  20minutes later, I brought the fish to gaff.  That was the easy part.  I just couldn't seem to get the fish over the rail on my own, no mater what method I tried.  After much effort, and rigging up 2 130 class reels, and a rope as a winch, I managed to get his head on the rail, and finally in the boat.  This was my first solo marlin catch.  The fish weighed out at 115.5lbs headed/gutted.  Not sure what I will do with a bigger one, when solo next time?  I may need a davit and winch or something.  I put out the 2 inverts and ran the 40 fa back to Iroquois Point.  Right as I rounded the corner, the black/pearl bait got smacked.  5 minutes, and I had I nice 21.3lb Ono to keep the marlin company.  Back at the dock at 1500hrs, both fish sold by 1700hrs (Blue@$3/lb, Ono@$4/lb).  

Not a bad way to spend the afternoon.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Tightlines667

Pics..
Hope springs eternal

Tightlines667

More pics...
Hope springs eternal

Maxed Out

Holy moly John, you did the "old man and the sea" and won.....some of my best catches have come solo and being fully prepared is the key.

Fish or no fish, I always enjoy your reports.

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Shark Hunter

Great Work once again John. ;)
Hard work pays off,
Daron
Life is Good!

cwillis85

Holy cow, looks like a trip of a lifetime. I was pleased with my fathers day trip but now I am a bit jealous.  :)
Chris

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

thorhammer

That's getting it done, brother! nice fish, great report as always. I see you painted your Senators gold...:)

Tightlines667

I went out for 3 hours this evening.  I was fortunate to get a solid hookup on the longrigger right as I arrived at my spot.  15 mins later, I had a Blue Marlin behibd tye biat.  I took him for another 15minute walk with the boat until his color changed and he rolled on his side, just to play it safe.  I bought a come-along after my last troubles boarding a larte fish, and I am glad I did, cause it made hoisting the 120lb fish over the rail a bit more managable.  This is my second solo Marlin ever, and 3rd Blue in as many outings.  I dressed, and packed tye fish immediately, and dropped him on the block within 3 hours of landing him.  He will likely be served in restaurants around the state tomorrow.
Hope springs eternal

Tightlines667

I went out for a 2 hour solo run this evening. Just ran the ledge, then worked the 300fa south side, since I didn't have the time to run leeward. Had a nice Wahoo hit the short, triple-skirted firecane/firecracker, but missed the tandam hooks. Right as I was about to pull lines, picked up a little Shibi on the ice blue ova pearl white 7" jet on the flat. I like these smaller ones for sashimi, so he was dinner tonight, and will be tomorrow. Can't complain.

John
Hope springs eternal

gstours

Thanks for the great pictures,  most of us will never have half the day you enjoy.   Butt thats why we drool and keep trying.   Tanks. ;)

steelfish

awesome reports, always a joy to read fishing reports from John
The Baja Guy