Penn Torque 25 Star Drag Sale

Started by Rivverrat, June 18, 2018, 03:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

Quote from: nelz on June 19, 2018, 02:03:40 PM
These don't have any kind of cast control, right?

That is correct. Only on the Fathom models.... Jeff

nelz

Quote from: Rivverrat on June 19, 2018, 06:43:19 PM

Thank goodness or I would've had to blow $200  ;D

Rivverrat

Quote from: nelz on June 20, 2018, 02:25:38 AM
Quote from: Rivverrat on June 19, 2018, 06:43:19 PM

Thank goodness or I would've had to blow $200  ;D

Once you get use to casting a fast, free spinning reel lesser reels can be frustrating.

But hey... I understand where your coming from... Jeff

swill88

A big THANKS to you Jeff.

TRQ25 arrived today.  Wow!

Now, for a suitable stick...
Suggestions?
Live bait 40, 50# ?.
Steve

cwillis85

Mine also came in today, and my arm is tired spooling it, lol. The seat on the rod i wanted to attach it to is too small. Also be looking for a rod, but I want something to throw plugs and also use for occasional bottom fishing. Open to suggestions.

Thanks for the heads up on this reel, love the size and the quality.
Chris

Rivverrat

Quote from: swill88 on June 22, 2018, 10:33:23 PM

TRQ25 arrived today.  Wow!

Suggestions?
Live bait 40, 50# ?.
Steve

When it comes to a 7' - 8', 40 & 50 lb stick in open water I am extremely partial to United Composites CE Wahoo. the 8' version has about 29" of fiberglas in the top third or so of the blank leading to carbon fiber for the rest. A very durable, fantastic casting rod, thats especailly easy when used with free spinning, faster reels like the Torques.

If you want a faster, little heavier with more sensitivity look at the 8" Tilefish. The UC CE Wahoo & 8' Tilefish are 2 classics no one should be with out. The 7' & 8' Tilefish are very different rods.

I have 2 will be getting another. 50 line is their sweet spot. However they will do well with 40 & fish 60 well enough if guides are layed out right & a rod devoted to 60 line is not at hand & your not afraid to pull.

Heres one I wrapped for myself for hard river use. It's something different. I used 7 single foot guides below the tip. First 3 guides above reel are double foot. All are Fuji. Weighs around 15 oz. Rod cast unbelievably well... Jeff

Rivverrat

Quote from: cwillis85 on June 22, 2018, 11:26:22 PM
Mine also came in today, and my arm is tired spooling it, lol. The seat on the rod i wanted to attach it to is too small. Also be looking for a rod, but I want something to throw plugs and also use for occasional bottom fishing. Open to suggestions.

Thanks for the heads up on this reel, love the size and the quality.

A Fuji size 22 carbon reel  seat will fit fine. I dont know if the Wahoo would work well for your bottom fishhing or not. I am confused by what I see & when I hear some describe their idea of a bottom rod. Remember most of my experience is fresh water..... I know Randy owner of United Composites has reccomended it to some for grouper.

I can say with out any hesitation you would be hard pressed to find a better stick for tossing plugs. I would be happy with it for bottom fishing. How ever I think the 8' UC Tilefish would be better suited for this & would toss heavier plugs fine.

How heavy of plugs you throwing ?... Jeff

cwillis85

I am wanting to throw 3-4 oz plugs. I was seeing that a good plug rod works well for grouper, gives you the back bone to yank them out of their holes. I just starting using rods other than ugly stiks so this is all new for me.
Chris

Rivverrat

Quote from: cwillis85 on June 23, 2018, 12:46:24 AM
I am wanting to throw 3-4 oz plugs. I was seeing that a good plug rod works well for grouper, gives you the back bone to yank them out of their holes. I just starting using rods other than ugly stiks so this is all new for me.

Either rod I mentioned would cast plugs that size very well. The Tilefish is an all graghite  fast rod.  The CE Wahoo is a moderate action. You need to take your reel & mount it on these rods if possible & pull on them.

I dont know what your looking to spend but these two rods are spendy to buy compared to some other options. However with the Trq 25 being of such a quality reel with such a wide range of use I would get the nicest rod I could afford....   Catfish Fear Me.... Wives Hate Me... Jeff

cwillis85

My wife wanted to go to the outlet mall for a new purse, knowing I needed some leverage against her for the new rod, I agreed. Three new Coach purses later I suggested stopping by the tackle shop for a quick look. I was originally thinking another Okuma rod for this reel just because of cost restrictions but after the shopping spree, my wife was in a spending mood. The guy at the shop showed me a bunch of rods in my budget. I saw a Phenix ESW-809H with the cool carbon fiber butt and black diamond blank.The guy said if my budget was higher this was the rod to get. My wife said if that is the right one, then get that one. Damn I love this woman.  :) I was hoping for an 8' but when your wife is on board with a rod that was double your budget you question the importantace of that extra foot. I am excited, whole combo cost less than retail on the reel!

Thanks again for the heads up on this deal, I will try to get out to see how big of a birds nest I can make  ;D
Chris

swill88

I'm happy for you Chris!

What's the name of that model Phenix blank?

I want to go shopping... does your wife have a sister? :)

Steve

cwillis85

Chris

Rivverrat

Let me know your alls thoughts on the rods you pair this reel with. It's knowledge that comes in handy & I can use for helping others here in my land locked state that sees very little high end gear for salt water... Jeff

Rivverrat

Chris, I have no personal experience with that rod. However I know several who use it & are extremly happy with it... Jeff

SoCalAngler

Quote from: swill88 on June 22, 2018, 10:33:23 PM

TRQ25 arrived today.  Wow!

Suggestions?
Live bait 40, 50# ?.
Steve

You have to figure out how you will use the setup the most, will it be 40 or 50 lb? IMO 50 lb is a bit too much for a single speed reel with the 6:1 gears, maybe even for 40 lb but it can be done. The reel may be able handle it but can you? I would extend the handle setting to its longest even with 40 lb test to gain more torque.

For our type of fishing with either 40 or 50 lb and live bait I'd look for a 7' rod. This length fishes well with bait and the yoyo iron, having it cover two bases with one setup. I may even drop down to 6.5' rod for 50.

Now price point will come into play on rod selection as well as are you buying new or used? If we have some more info here I'm sure myself as well as others could give you some info on rods to look at.