Penn Torque 25 Star Drag Sale

Started by Rivverrat, June 18, 2018, 03:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cwillis85

I got to go huk some lead with my new setup today. Throwing a 6oz egg sinker felt great, best distance I have ever got with that much weight. Caught one 8"ish white grunt on it, didnt even notice it was on there until I got it to the surface. So far the gear feels strong but again I barely gave it a test. I got a 50/50 combo on good cast and elaborate bird nest, less and less the more I cast. So far this combo is shaping up to be my favorite, light, strong, and fits my hands so well.
Chris

handi2

I'm a dummy Jeff. It states it right on the package. Its good to know you can still get them separately.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Rivverrat

Quote from: handi2 on July 01, 2018, 09:43:46 PM
I'm a dummy Jeff. It states it right on the package. Its good to know you can still get them separately.

;D   Believe you to be far from being a dummy. I know it has to be confusing for some with the 4.8:1 set not being listed on any Torques except the 40 on Mystics website

Rivverrat

Chris, I'm glad this reel is working well for you. If this does turn out to be your Fav. you should look at the 12 & 15 star drags. While these work well in the salt they will work great in frsh water landing or bringing to boat any fresh water fish that swims in North America. Unless the depth is great... Jeff 

cwillis85

We just signed paperwork to build a house in Apollo Beach, 10 minutes from the bay. Hooefully the only fresh water fishing for me will be the catch and release ponds in the community with my daughter. Then just cobia and reds running through the warm power plant discharge. Fingers crossed of course  ;D
Chris

swill88

Quote from: cwillis85 on July 01, 2018, 10:39:42 PM
We just signed paperwork to build a house in Apollo Beach, 10 minutes from the bay. Hooefully the only fresh water fishing for me will be the catch and release ponds in the community with my daughter. Then just cobia and reds running through the warm power plant discharge. Fingers crossed of course  ;D

Congratulations!  Exciting times are ahead for sure!

Rivverrat

Wow Chris, You lucky dog. Living there one of those two reels would still be a consideration for me.  They cast lite stuff like a spinner... Jeff

cwillis85

I had to sell my squall 15 to help pay for the torque. I really liked that reel for 2oz wieghts. That cast like a dream, the clicker was super stiff and you could feel it was close to its limit on a few of the under 10lb jacks. I think i will be looking more at either finishing my Jigmaster into a long range bomber or look at the Fathom series when the time comes. Not sure a new $600 reel is in the cards anytime soon. Unless of course another deal like this last one comes up, might have to go do a side job to get one or two.
Chris

Rivverrat

There are deals on these reels often enough. No problems tossing 1/4 - 1/2 oz on my Torque 12's.

This 25 does OK with 1 oz.  but starts singing with 2 oz.   weights & up with my 8' Tilefish.

This combo will be used for drifting & casting bait  for distance. Until I find an appropriate 9' - 10'  two pc. rod & afford to purchase it... Jeff

nelz

Looks like Cabelas dropped the entire line of Torque stars a couple of days ago. Snooze'ya'loose!

Rivverrat

Quote from: nelz on July 02, 2018, 01:51:20 PM
Looks like Cabelas dropped the entire line of Torque stars a couple of days ago. Snooze'ya'loose!

I think its sad in a way. Ive noticed tackle shops dropping star drag reels.

I really do like the few 2 speed lever drags I own. While Ive gone back & forth deciding whether  I reeally need them.

I find myself headed out with them every week.

However my heart will always be with the simple & lowly star drag... Jeff

cwillis85

I snoozed on picking up a 4.8 gearset from mysticparts, trying to get my house ready to list has drained the bank. I am hoping someone may know of one I can buy before they are gone forever.

Anybody have a set or know where I might locate one? Thanks in advance
Chris

Penn

Quote from: cwillis85 on July 26, 2018, 12:27:37 AM
I snoozed on picking up a 4.8 gearset from mysticparts, trying to get my house ready to list has drained the bank. I am hoping someone may know of one I can buy before they are gone forever.

Anybody have a set or know where I might locate one? Thanks in advance

The "kits" are no longer available but you can still purchase the parts separate.

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/PennTRQ40G.aspx

013 TRQ40 & 005 TRQ40

tony

cwillis85

Oops, had a brain fart and looked at the wrong part. Thank you for clearing that up
Chris

pangamaster

Quote from: Rivverrat on July 01, 2018, 12:17:04 AM
Keith,  the same gear set is used for all Torque Star Drag Reels. The reel in the pic is my 25.

Dang, you really had me second guessing myself.

Thank you very much for this info.  I just ordered the new gears for my TRQ25.  Looking forward to fishing this rig soon!
Anything worth doing....is worth doing well!