Penn Torque 25 Star Drag Sale

Started by Rivverrat, June 18, 2018, 03:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

I hope you end up liking your Trq 25 as much as myself. This could very possibly be one of the last reels with a frame this wide.

Lower gearing helps a lot with reels like this one. Using 40 line & lower gear ratio pretty much makes the issues that come with a wider reel a non issue at least for me.

However I'm fishing mine with 50 & 60... Jeff

pangamaster

Hey All,
I just added the new 4.6-1 gears to my unused Torque 25.  Seems I may have stripped out one of the screws on the reel handle side when reassembling.  Not a lot of meat there.  Anyways any suggestions on getting a slightly longer screw?  Or do I need to buy the complete Reel Side plate for $100.  Please help!
Anything worth doing....is worth doing well!

pangamaster

Bought a new frame.  I'm back in business.  Any after market handles or reel seats available for the torque star drags?

Rivverrat

Quote from: pangamaster on August 26, 2018, 02:41:07 AM
Bought a new frame.  I'm back in business.  Any after market handles or reel seats available for the torque star drags?

https://www.tiburonfishingreels.com/t-bar-lite

Alans handle knob may be better because it's a tad bigger. The Tiburon style handle knob is my all time fav. This is a great handle just could be a smidge bigger. However it works just fine. You'll want the Torque single speed, model  TB-TRQ. I use it on my Trq 12's. This is a Tib knob that comes with a handle. Will work great with low gear ratio &  
30 - 40 line on Trq 12 - 25 & 25N.

The next pic is what I have on my Trq 25's.  Had three of these nobs that I originally wanted to put on my
Baja / US113  but absolutely  hated these handles on those reels. However I actually like it a lot on the Trq 25.

You will have to drill out your stock knob to fit these to your factory handle. They can be found in differing sizes at Jigging World & ebay.

The handle & knob in black is the Tiburon offering... Jeff

bhale1

Jeff,
okay ???, whats up with the paracord zip tied to the star, is that to keep it from moving after you pre-set the drag?
just curious ;D
Brett

Rivverrat

It's not zip tied. The cord is whipped into place using braid line.

After turning the star a full turn  & 1/2 on my Trq 12's, enough to engage the drag   It allows me to know with out question what my drag setting is by looking at the cord and where it is in relation to the handle.

The drag setting is as repeatable as it is on any lever drag. I've been doing this for so long I dont notice it or think about it much.

Have to say I'm kind of surprised by the number of people who've asked me about it... Jeff

bhale1

Jeff,
Well I must say I never would have thought of something like that!
You pretty much can learn something new here every day if you pay attention.
Thanks for the explanation 😁
Brett

pangamaster

Quote from: Rivverrat on August 28, 2018, 01:40:31 AM
Quote from: pangamaster on August 26, 2018, 02:41:07 AM
Bought a new frame.  I'm back in business.  Any after market handles or reel seats available for the torque star drags?

https://www.tiburonfishingreels.com/t-bar-lite

Alans handle knob may be better because it's a tad bigger. The Tiburon style handle knob is my all time fav. This is a great handle just could be a smidge bigger. However it works just fine. You'll want the Torque single speed, model  TB-TRQ. I use it on my Trq 12's. This is a Tib knob that comes with a handle. Will work great with low gear ratio &  
30 - 40 line on Trq 12 - 25 & 25N.

The next pic is what I have on my Trq 25's.  Had three of these nobs that I originally wanted to put on my
Baja / US113  but absolutely  hated these handles on those reels. However I actually like it a lot on the Trq 25.

You will have to drill out your stock knob to fit these to your factory handle. They can be found in differing sizes at Jigging World & ebay.

The handle & knob in black is the Tiburon offering... Jeff

Thanks Jeff!
Awesome!  I'm all over that Tiburon handle.  I have them on other reels!

johnachak

Quote from: Rivverrat on June 23, 2018, 06:33:28 PM
Let me know your alls thoughts on the rods you pair this reel with. It's knowledge that comes in handy & I can use for helping others here in my land locked state that sees very little high end gear for salt water... Jeff

I paired my TRQ25 star drag with my custom 7" Calstar Jon Vadney built for me. I use it for Codfish and Stripers. I spooled it with Power Pro 50#.

Jim Fujitani

I don't know how, but I missed this thread back in June of last year.  I would have bought at least one of the gold Torque 25s.  My first Torque 25 was a black one, and is still almost pristine.  I wanted the 25N, but they (the line of black Torques) were out of production by the time I got interested, and are now extremely hard to find in good condition.

I had to re-educate my thumb to get used to the 'live spindle' spool when casting.  It casts 1-3 ounce jigs like a dream and can easily handle school size pelagics, tho' I never boated any of the wahoo that I hooked because they bit off my top shot leaders.

r8rs4lf

Quote from: Jim Fujitani on January 10, 2019, 04:38:37 PM
I don't know how, but I missed this thread back in June of last year.  I would have bought at least one of the gold Torque 25s.  My first Torque 25 was a black one, and is still almost pristine.  I wanted the 25N, but they (the line of black Torques) were out of production by the time I got interested, and are now extremely hard to find in good condition.

I had to re-educate my thumb to get used to the 'live spindle' spool when casting.  It casts 1-3 ounce jigs like a dream and can easily handle school size pelagics, tho' I never boated any of the wahoo that I hooked because they bit off my top shot leaders.

The black Torque 25N's in great shape and even NIB are out there, but you'll pay for sure! I recently got ahold of a black Torque 25N and 12 that could pass for new. I know, I'm late to the party!

As for a different knob, has anyone ever tried to install a black version of a Trinidad 16/20? Those knobs feel great in my hand. The factory knob on the Torque send a bit small.

Rivverrat

Not tried this myself. I see no reason using a Tiburon handle blank it couldn't easily be with a little thought put into it... Jeff