Fathers Day Salmon

Started by Hardy Boy, June 18, 2018, 04:07:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy Boy

Went out for a Fathers Day troll. Calm weather and sunny but calling for wind coming up in the afternoon. launched at 5 am. One undersized off the bat and then the tide started running like crazy (17 foot tide swing this weekend). Went to only one rod/ downrigger in the water due to the strong tide pushing the lines around and causing tangles. First fish at 8 am , nice to not have to play the fish and reel in the other rod and rigger etc.............. got to relax and enjoy the fight. Picked up another just legal (released) and another under and then picked up another nice one. Done at 10 am. Nothing big 15 and 12 lbers (good on the grill). Flat calm. Might have been a few AT members going by as several cruise ships were heading North to see Gary.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

bhale1

Looks like a great day Todd! Please enlighten this landlocked fisher.....is that a moocher reel? What is  (are) the advantages/disadvantages of using that type of rig verses conventional gear. Just curious. Good job.
Brett

Hardy Boy

bhale: That is a mooching reel (that one is an Islander, anodized aluminum made on Vancouver Island), it is basically a large fly reel with a larger more capable drag,  its a one to one ratio with direct drive, hence the nick name "knuckle buster"; you better get those fingers out of the way when a fish runs, I have fixed many moochers with one or both handles broken off by guide clients fingers. The only advantage is its way more fun and challenging to play and land a fish. It seems to be a BC  thing here on the West Coast to use mooching reels although some guys use them in Puget sound and Alaska. Maxed out Ted and GSTOURS Gary use them. You can always tell an American boat up here, when you see all conventional reels (or guys from Alberta)  ;D. You will see guides and locals use conventional reels here when you have a newbie or someone who can not get used to the moochers and they want to land a fish. I have a buddy from Idaho who would not touch my mooching reels when he first came up here, I finally got him to try it and now he owns his own islander and points out the "Americans" fishing conventional gear !!

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Maxed Out

Nice fish Todd...wish I was there

Is that "the wall" in your picture ?? Water looks like a mirror

I love my single action reels.... the Islander is sweet reel and costs about $400....... I prefer Diawa or Shimano knuckle busters. They are graphite and plastic and under $100. Very simple internals that can go many seasons without service. Either way I love those reels and 11' whip let's me feel the slightest movements of the fish during a fight

We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

bhale1

Todd,
That sounds like a lot of fun! It would be right up my alley if i lived near shore, and had access to private boats. They would probably frown upon it on the cattle boats I fish >:(...lol
In my early to mid twenties i spent half my time up on the San Juan river in the four corners area....love my 9' Sage rods and Gunnison fly reels...It was awesome and challenging.  We made just enough money tying flys each evening to buy beer and gas to support our "habit"....
Ahhhh, those were the days.
Thanks for the info ;D
Brett

steelfish

woow, those salmon looks pretty chunky , pretty sure they offered a nice fight
The Baja Guy

Jim Fujitani

A nice brace of King (Chinook) salmon.  And the upper fish looks like it may have a clipped adipose fin, a hatchery fish!!

Hardy Boy

Good eye it was a marked hatchery fish. The head is turned in. A lot of our marked fish this time of year are from hatcheries on the Columbia river and rivers in Puget sound.

Cheers:

todd
Todd