Penn 650ss

Started by Noboater, June 18, 2018, 08:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noboater

So Im in the middle of redoing a 650ss. Ive already posted on another thread about the ratchet upgrade. Im just wandering if there is any other upgrades needed? Crosswind gear? Drag washers? Bearings?

Im not a fan of the handle and crank and Im wandering if there is any one I can get that will replace it like from a newer model so it will be gold etc? Seems to be a plethora of k owledge here im exced to learn.

Marcq

Quote from: Noboater on June 18, 2018, 08:46:41 PM
So Im in the middle of redoing a 650ss. Ive already posted on another thread about the ratchet upgrade. Im just wandering if there is any other upgrades needed? Crosswind gear? Drag washers? Bearings?

Im not a fan of the handle and crank and Im wandering if there is any one I can get that will replace it like from a newer model so it will be gold etc? Seems to be a plethora of k owledge here im exced to learn.

I upgraded the drag by I using  brian 5-60 kit which is for the 146 I believe, they are slightly larger but not by much, made a tool to shave off some material and it works great
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=14338.0

Also the newer drag knob

Penn Battle 6000 handle arm will also fit the 650ss

Marc..

handi2

The 650ss uses a different ratchet than the larger reels. It is keyed to the pinion gear meaning it has a square hole in the center to slide onto the pinion gear. I dont know if there is an upgrade. The Reel still has 2 anti reverse dogs so its good to go.

The Penn 6-155 HT-100 drag washers are fine to use. A new drag knob is very helpful. I know there are aftermarket handles for the 750 and up. Ill have to check on the 650 handle arm.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

basto

Hey Marc
That`s the first silver 650ss I have seen. Looks very cool indeed !!
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Marcq

Quote from: basto on June 21, 2018, 10:34:34 AM
Hey Marc
That`s the first silver 650ss I have seen. Looks very cool indeed !!
Basto

Thanks Basto ;)

Marc..