Alameda anodizing business is being forced to move

Started by Dominick, June 18, 2018, 11:22:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Gfish

Sounds like it could be ona those (future)property value things. 70 years, man that sucks!
Never shopped at the "Berserkly" Bowl, is it ona those Whole Foods-like stores?
SFGate sucks too, way to many adds to even concentrate on what I's readin.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

mikeysm

If that was me I would file for bankruptcy and walk away fast. The cost to clean up that place is more money than what the property is worth.

Mike

foakes

Something doesn't add up here —

Many of us on Alan's board have been in business, or around businesses like this that they have worked for.

Any successful business would be looking for their own facility that they could likely purchase after their first 10 years of operation.

This would be a good investment, there would be tax advantages, not to mention property value appreciation over 70+ years in the Bay Area.

Why throw all that money away in lease payments for two and a half generations???

Any time a business has a landlord — they are not in control of their assets, location, or future.

After 70 years, they cry foul — and would not even supply 2 years of income tax records to confirm their claim of not having any money when renegotiating a new lease?

This suit is likely a ploy to prove Metalco is a victim — as soon as the new owner figures out that the chemicals used for 70 years at this location have leached down into the water supply — triggering a multi-million dollar claim from the government as a SuperFund cleanup site.

Methinks there is more to this than meets the eye.

The landlord is holding all the cards — and surely has all contingencies and their lease agreement on firm ground.

Just my opinion...

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

I can't see any good coming out of this.
Both parties are going to lose.
My Grandpa always had a saying.
I can't say it, because it violates the 12 year old rule. ;)
Life is Good!

newfuturevintage

Quote from: Gfish on June 19, 2018, 01:37:10 AM

Never shopped at the "Berserkly" Bowl, is it ona those Whole Foods-like stores?

Very similar, but more locally focused, with 50% more sanctimony and 100% more obnoxious clientele.

It's the only shop I've ever been in that I've walked out of leaving behind a half-full shopping cart because I just couldn't deal with the fellow shoppers any longer.

Don't even get me started on the parking lot :)

oc1

Metalco is grandfathered for a lot of stuff.  Once closed it could never reopen at that location or any other location.  Especially not in California.
-steve

conchydong

Quote from: oc1 on June 19, 2018, 07:38:39 PM
Metalco is grandfathered for a lot of stuff.  Once closed it could never reopen at that location or any other location.  Especially not in California.
-steve

This is the reason they probably could not leave their present location. The environmental issues would kill them in the clean up and the new regulations in their new place.

mikeysm

It will take alot of money to clean it up. The new owner is very stupid.

Mike

oc1

It says the tanks are concrete.  They must have been sealed really well because, otherwise, the anodizing acids would eat them up.  What's underneath in the ground might not be too bad because the concrete would neutralize anything seeping out.
-steve

Swami805

After 70 years just the amount of stuff they spilled or poured on the ground has likely built up pretty good and with the ever growing list of the EPA the clean up costs will be a lot. Didn't see any numbers for the guys lease or what the increase was but just finding a new shop and moving will cost a couple years rent I would think. The thing will get tied up in court forever, the only winners will be the attorneys.
Do what you can with that you have where you are