Seized inner rings to bar screws

Started by Islandgypsy, June 18, 2018, 11:40:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Islandgypsy

So good to see Reel Man is on the mend, perhaps he or others have have an answer. Have serviced dozens of Newells, and have always managed , with patience , penetrating oil, pencil torch etc. to get them out and replace with grease.
Have a P series where the two upper screws into the crossbars (both sides ,two each side ) have defeated all my efforts.
This reel shows no sign of corrosion or much use. At one time I recall , don't remember where, that Carl tried using a compound to seize these screws intentionally while they were being assembled in the jig so the frame would remain square and true. Good luck trying to remove them . Is there any truth to this?
Already ordered a Tib frame from Randy just in case I snapped a head off, but I'd rather stay with the original frame.
Hate to just button it back up, tail between my legs....any truth to that rumor?
    -Greg

Swami805

Likely just corroded in place. If it's the upper cross bar large vice grip on the bar small vice grip on the screw head. Your screw and bar may be toast but those aren't hard to find. That little screw head won't take much punishment so it will likely get buggered up either way. Try some tape our something so you don't gouge the crossbar but it might be inevitable.
Good thing it's not those long screws,they can be a real bear.
I don't know about any compound but it could be. I've torn up my share of newell screws in the past,it will come loose.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

bluefish69

Greg

You might have seen a R 533 on FB that was 300' under water for no one knows. The Star was rotted off & Handle was gone. I put the reel in Vinegar for 24 hrs. I got every screw out with no problem. If I have to I use Needle Nose Vise grips to heads of the screws.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

TEAMFISH

X2 on the vinegar, works wonders
That was your R533? I would love to see the rebuild.

bluefish69

Not my reel. The owner & I worked deck together in the 90's. Picked it up yesterday morning & have it broke down already

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Islandgypsy

Thanks Mike and Swami- in the vinegar it goes. Let you know in 24hrs.
-Greg

Marcq

Yeah take your time, there's always a way  and yes vinegar is a wonderful simple product  8)

Marc..

Bryan Young

I've had a couple of those on my p454s. I took it to a propane torch. Heat the aluminum bar then screw to read hit the heat the aluminum bar. While hot, hold the bar with a lot of insulating material and unscrew. Worked like a charm.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Islandgypsy

One ring is off, and the other side is soaking in vinegar. The winning combo was an 18" crescent wrench with well padded jaws chucked up in the vise to hold the bar. Lots more heat with pencil torch, couple whacks with reversing hand impact wrench with bit ground down to fit the screw slot, then needle nose vice grips. No damage to bars or ring.
Toughest one I've dealt with...the P series uses aluminum bars and S.S screws, and if not greased don't play well together in a forty year old reel.
  A big thank you for your encouragement and suggestions, gang!
     -Greg

alantani

another candidate for a butane torch!  no plastic in contact, right?  if so, 20 seconds should do it!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Greg, if you need any help breaking the screw off, just let me know.  I am really good at it!

Islandgypsy

Alan - Holy cow, 20 seconds!? ....and I lost a nights sleep, know where send the next P newell that shows up!  ;😀
Randy - Appreciate your generous offer, my friend..but I do quite well snapping screws off on my own, thank you very much!
   Greg