New Pro Gear V50 Blown Apart

Started by handi2, June 21, 2018, 07:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handi2

These pictures are the V50 from Pro Gear. The reel looks to be very well made with excellent machining and materials.

The only issue with this reel is the threading on the main shaft and the drag star. When turning the drag star it's not very smooth. It will smooth out after some use.

The spool bearings are 4x10x4 and 5x13x4. The bushing in the handle side plate can easily be changed to a bearing and it's also 4x10x4. There is a bearing on the main shaft I did not measure. The clutch bearing is the very common 12x18x9 and can be purchased at Smooth Drag.

I did change that bearing. All 3 were opened, cleaned, and oiled with TSI301. The freespool was 40 seconds with no slack in the spool. The bearings were originally oiled only, no grease.

The carbon drags have a smooth finish like found in some Shimano reels. The dimensions are 10mm x 1 5/16 if you wanted to change them to Smooth Drags Carbontex.

I don't know who did the machining but it is excellent with no left over marks.

The frame screws have Loctite so they must be greased.

The spool click gear is held on with an C clip. The spool cross pin is slightly smaller on one end. Note this when putting it back in.

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

handi2

Continued.

Gulf Breeze, FL

handi2

Continued.

The clutch bearing sits low in the frame. Perfect to add a grease seal.

And yes the red fiber washer was changed to Delrin. 10mm x 22mm.

At $130.00 shipped it's a steal.
Gulf Breeze, FL

mo65

That thing does look to be built very well Keith...thanks for the look inside. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

handi2

They dont look much different than some of the originals. I forgot to add that the eccentric lever does not touch the frame in any position. The machined frame has drain holes for the gear box. The handle grip is the same as Alan Chui sells. It fits tight with no play. I hate it when a handle knob is clicking when reeling.

When i get it spooled I'll repost the drag numbers. They say 25lbs but you know how that is.

Keith
Gulf Breeze, FL

STRIPER LOU

Looks good Keith!

Got the V20 yesterday. I couldn't pass it up for the price! As you said it looks good and nicely finished.

Going to add one of my Custom knobs and pair it up with my new slow pitch jigging rod. Should make a nice light weight combo.

Thanks for the write up,  ..  Lou

rippin_lips

When I saw "Blown Apart" I was expecting something different like a pile of broken pieces  ;D

thorhammer

Keith, nice look. star drive stand screws...very nice. You could spend $130 on SS guts alone to get a Jiggy where that reel is. $130, yes, all day.

mrwilson99

David

Marcq

Great write up Keith, I really like my V20

The V50, is it bigger or smaller than a Penn 501/500? I'm really tempted to get the V40 or V50, not much difference between the two in line capacity

Marc..

handi2

I think it's a tad larger in diameter than the 500 reel. Ill have to measure. Its back in the box on the shelf.
Gulf Breeze, FL

Reel 224

Keith: I could not pass it up either and perched one myself, for that price it was a steal. Did you get that delran Smooth drag?

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

handi2

Joe i punch all of mine in the shop. I can send you one if needed.

Keith
Gulf Breeze, FL

swill88

Great write up Keith! 
I'm so glad to see these are well put together.  I was a sceptic but, now, it's on my want-to-have-and-hotrod list.
Thanks!
Steve

Reel 224

Quote from: handi2 on July 31, 2018, 11:20:22 PM
Joe i punch all of mine in the shop. I can send you one if needed.

Keith

PM sent Thank you...................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."