PENN SSVI New Product Video

Started by Penn, June 22, 2018, 03:43:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Rivverrat

Looks good.

I understand you have to make what sells. However I would much rather pay for other qualities in a reel than some level of water proofness.

A sealed reel means nothing & does nothing for me. This would be the same for all others if they maintained their reels. 

I understand it. But I dont have to like it... Jeff

Reel 224

That's right Jeff you don't have to like it, but for me it is a good feature on a reel the water tight a reel is is a + for keeping out corrosion and fine material that could wear on the gears in a short time. It's good practice to maintain you reels but usually fisherman wait till the end of the season and that could be several months for salt,sand and other corrosive materials to work there damage in that time.

You may stay on top of you reel maintenance but I have experienced most fisherman just don't pay attention to that part. Just look at what Alan takes in through the season.

Joe       
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

alantani

gentlemen, thank you for your observations. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Reel 224

Alan; Your certainly welcome.............................. ;) ;D ;D Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Alto Mare

That's a lot of options for the consumer, good job Penn!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rivverrat

Joe, you are exactly right. Most probably dont do the best at cleaning & maintaining their gear The fact is Penn has to survive.  They'll do this a lot better producing reels most want vs what some hick in Kansas desires.

Wasn't meaning to be harsh. Dont voice my thoughts in the best manner at times

I will in fact be watching for feedback on this reel. I have need for a rack of affordable spinners. Being a sealed reel would by no means keep me from purchasing a worthy reel. Just like to see Penn put the resources more into durability vs sealing. But to be honest they have done this with their spinners, star & lever drags with the Torque line up.

A sealed real probably will be more trouble free with better durability long term for most of the buying public...... Soooo I need to go to bed... Jeff

Reel 224

Jeff Don't fret about that, I know your giving you honest opinion on your knowledge and efforts on your equipment. But I have to say guys don't do the maintenance we are exposed to here on the Alan Tani reel repair site.

I also understand that these high capacity spinning reels are quite expensive with all there whistles and bells, the aim of the manufactures is to make them as bomb proof as possible. Hence the expense. No pun intended.

I like the fact that guys hear are lazy about maintaining there reels so I can make a few shekels... ;) :D :D......................Joe

I thought that remark was going to go south, so I'LL clarify myself. I wasn't talking about you guys, I was referring to NJ (hear). 

Tunanorth

Ha-Ha, though not generally the members of this forum, there are segments of the USA, in particular the Northeast and some parts of the Southeast, where degree of waterpoofness is by far the most important consideration.
In some circles, the IPX5 rating of the Spinfisher VI is unacceptable, and even the IPX6 rating of the Slammer III and Torque II may be insufficient.
Many such anglers engage in "skishing", where virtually all cranking is done with the reel completely submerged [angler is in chest-deep or even neck-deep water], and some cases will swim out to a rock that may be 100 or more yards off shore, and is only exposed at low tide, then swim back as the tide returns.
Others who are wading across long shallow areas quite literally use their rod [with reel attached] as a wading staff.
Boat-based anglers may find this extreme, but it really is pretty standard in those areas.

Rivverrat

Steve, I'm glad you made these very valid points. Reminding me & possibly others that some do need gear that works outside of  "MY" own narrow mindedness.  It's a good thing to have you here... Jeff

oc1

Making the gear compartment waterproof to three feet depth when you have wall penetrations for moving parts (e.g. gear shaft/handle, spool shaft, levers and buttons) is a pretty tall order.  At the price they charge for a fishing reel, water resistant is all you will get and the water resistant features make it more time consuming to open the compartment for cleaning.  I think it is better to embrace the inevitable and concentrate on how you can get the salt and grit out of the reel at the end of the day.  I've started drilling holes in the side plates so wash water can flow in and out easily.
-steve

Rivverrat

Steve, I couldn't agree more. At the same time I understand there are fewer people like you , myself & others here buying reels.

A high percentage of the reel buying publics thoughts start & stop with

" I got to keep the water out of my reel "

Tunanorth

...and that is why the PENN "Z" series spinning reels endure almost unchanged for over 50 years.
Even if completely filled with sand and jammed up, it has maintained its reputation as the easiest spin reel to totally take down on the hood of a Jeep, by the light of a Coleman lantern, while the fish are biting!.
Blow the sand and grit out, a quick re-lube, a quick re-assemble, and you are back to fishing right now. Some guys can do it in 10 minutes start to finish.
However, they do not have any of the "modern" bells and whistles performance features, like fast retrieve, light weight, high drag numbers, interchangeable handles, etc, etc.

johndtuttle

I would look at these seals as a corollary to what Alan and other reel tech pros have taught us: "A (fraction of) an ounce of preventive maintenance is worth a pound of cure...."

The tooling and engineering for these sealed reels is I am sure costly, but then the seals cost pennies in quantity.

The average fisherman is getting an incredible value that will make his premium reel last far longer than any he has bought before.

This is precisely why we see better and better "Tani-ization" of reels from the factory from all makers too. A few pennies for a bit of proper grease here and there and the end user gets a far better value. He may never see the inside of his reel, ever. But he knows it keeps working far longer than others.