2065 Drive Train

Started by Midway Tommy, June 22, 2018, 08:31:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midway Tommy

Here's a couple of photos of the Shakespeare gray 2065 innards for any of you guys that haven't seen them. They're quite a bit more complicated than the next version 2062 maroon. I think they are better made and smoother than the newer versions, but they've got a lot more moving parts.

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

mo65

Yes sir...there is a lot going on there...not a place for the timid! :o
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

basto

Looks like the main gear drives a small gear in front of it which drives the pinion gear.
Can't see what drives the occilation gear. Yes, there it is on the main gear axle.  Very interesting reel. Thanks for posting Tommy.
All these different worm drive variants are so clever.
I can`t wait to see Alan Hawk review the Hardy Exalta on his reviews page.
Greg
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

happyhooker

Interesting--thanks, Tommy.

Frank

festus

Lots of gears in there but not as many as a Mitchell 300.  Wouldn't be afraid to tackle it but would definitely keep my camera nearby. Thanks for posting, Tommy, I haven't been able to find a schematic for one of those online.

Midway Tommy

QuoteI haven't been able to find a schematic for one of those online.

Here you go, Chester.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Rivverrat

Tommy thanks for the posting the schematic

Midway Tommy

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Gfish

Seems like those Spin Wonder gears'er probably made oudda better material than the MG. 300(aluminium, I believe, except for the pinion). Though my 300's never had any major gear issues(other than a need for shims) and the machining tolerances were great.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

mo65

I found a few other pics of the gears...looks like a mix of aluminum, bronze, and steel...that probably contributes to the smoothness. Also, I'm having trouble seeing clearly on the schematic, but it appears there is no ball bearing on the pinion. Is that correct Tommy?

Midway Tommy

That's correct, there is no ball bearing. It's set up in kind of the old fashioned European design. The pinion worm gear is pressed into the rotor. The main shaft tube is pressed & pinned into the body. A couple of thrust washers go between the rotor & body. There's a ball detent oil port on the rear of the body to oil the main shaft. Here's a couple of photos of my Salesman Sample to show how the body & rotor/pinion are set up. You can see the pin to the body in the main shaft tube. The tube is non-removable. That's why there are no pinion worm gear or main shaft tube parts shown on the schematic. 

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

mo65

nelz

Unnecessarily complex, but still pretty cool.  8)

Rivverrat

Quote from: nelz on June 23, 2018, 07:16:53 PM
Unnecessarily complex, but still pretty cool.  8)

I couldn't agree more. Some day I might see if can get a flishable one from a combination of these 3.

They are cool old reels. But I don't see a habit forming fishing them any time soon... Jeff

mo65

I like the looks of the gearing on this reel...seems a step up from the Mitchell variant. My Mitchells all have a bunch of shims behind every gear that love to get lost in grease, and then the mesh is shot. This reel had no shims, so either someone lost them all, or it really is a more precise mechanism. :D

Diverting from the gearing for a minute, maybe one of you can answer this question. My project reel has a busted side plate screw. When I replaced it, I noticed that when the AR lever is in the "off position it butts right onto the body. When in the "on" position, it butts against the screw I replaced! I thought I goofed at first, but when checking my only source of photos(good ol' fleaBay) I see this seems to be correct. Thoughts? ???